LENZ Set 100

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Hello again. I'm still new, as a member of the Gauge, but I've lurked for awhile, and know you'll all have some information for me.

I'm just starting construction on a larger sized N-scale layout. I'll be running up to about four trains at a time, some of which will have multiple unit consists. This will be a 2' wide shelf layout, running 12'x20'x12' around three walls, with a 10' staging yard in an adjoining room. The trackplan will be point to point, via an out and back schematic with a reverse loop and a provision for continuous running. I'll have some industrial switching, in addition to mainline running.

After looking at different DCC systems, I really like the look, feel and operation of the LENZ Set 100 system, keypad control, and telephone adapter for wireless operation. I've had the MRC Command 2000 for a few years on my former 6'x10' N-scale layout. I'm not new to DCC, but I am moving beyond the limited experience I gained with that basic MRC system.

Ok, here's my question. Is there any reason I should reconsider my choice of the LENZ set 100? I am really comfortable with the 100's hand controller. I know this is like the age old "less filling...tastes great" controversy, but I am open to all feedback on this choice. DCC systems are a matter of personal choice, and I value the opinions of the members here. I'll settle in for some feedback, as this may take awhile. ;)

C

Catt

If you are really comfortable with this system then by all means go with it.Afterall it is your lasyout and your railroad and your hobby so just enjoy it your way.:D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Our club uses Lenz decoders because the consensus was that they were the best made for the money. We buy them in bulk and pass the savings on to the membership. They however, went with the Digitrax system as their power supply. Price, ease of service and ease of use (more then half the membership is well into their 60s and 70s) was the factor. Me? I just fell in love with DCC when I saw my first "cornfield meet" at the club. It was an accident that could never happen with plain ol' DC becasue of the limitations of polarity.

spaus001

Jul 15, 2003
Adelaide, South Australia
Visit site
I find the Lenz Set-100 is great. Having used both dial-based Set-90 and pushbutton Set-100, the pushbutton throttle is much better, particularly when in programming mode. Nothing else is as simple as having the 10-digit keypad the Set-100 has; you spend less time thinking about how to enter numbers than with a knob-based system.

Lenz's "goof-proof" warranty is also attractive - their warranty applies even if you accidentally fry a decoder when installing it.

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Thanks for the great responses. I still have not made the purchase as of now, since I have not gotten past starting my benchwork yet. I appreciate the information.

Spaus001, thanks for anticipating the next question that I was going to ask. I was curious as to how easy the two handhelds are for programming.

This is a great forum.

Eric

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
I found out, because of my PC Repair background, that all the DCC
chips are made by Digitrax. Just that the boards are put together
by the individual companies plants, sooo... I don't know.
I just thought that was interesting information.:rolleyes:

Take it as you will.;)