Lenz Programing

willist

I just installed a Lenz decoder in a Bachmann 2-8-0 [Spectrum], I was able to program new address but nothing else. Well almost nothing else I was able to adjust the braking a little, it no longer comes to screeching halt but it now takes too long to stop. Accelaration is the worst at 1 it takes off like a dragster. My system is Lenz set 100. Any help would be appreciated.

Bikerdad

Basically, you'll need to play with the acceleration and deceleration values, plus the Min, Mid, and Max values. Focus on only one at a time. Start with setting the Min value (the % of juice it needs before it starts moving). Once you're happy with that, set the MID value, which should be your speed at half throttle. Then set the Max. Next, move on to the acceleration value. The simplest way to zero in on a figure you like is to use bracketing. Set the acceleration at the halfway value. Modify the setting by moving it halfway towards the "next" value (i.e., the first time, you'll move it either to 1/4, or 3/4 of the max value.) Keep halving as you step towards the setting you like. Once the acceleration value is where you want it, do the same thing with the deceleration. As you're going through each value, write down your final settings so that if you inadvertently (or deliberately) reset the decoder, you can restore quickly.

One thing that can trip you up is make sure that your MID value is always less than the MAX value, otherwise the system will ignore the MAX value. (Ditto for the Min being less than the Mid). I've only worked in N scale, so I can't provide much advice specific to your loco/decoder combo, although I do have 2 Spectrum Connies with Lenz decoders! :wave:

willist

Thanks for your reply, i've already fixed the problem. Turns out I needed to change the speed step setting to 128, once I did that programing was a snap. The engine preforms great.:thumb: