Legal Eagle

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by goney3, Dec 11, 2006.

1. goney3

goney3 Member

So the trick is wet paper? :???:
  2. goney3

goney3 Member

Okay, here is my first crack at taking parts of the instructions, mirroring pieces, then glue/taping it together to see what I come up with:

Yeah, as you can see... not too good. :cry:

There doesn't seem to be enough of the structure where the engine meets the fuselage to hold it together.

I also took a stab at 3d (not my strong point!) and came up with this:

So how should I model the center piece? beefy landing gear and poles? :-?
    I don't even want to think about the windshield...
  3. goney3

goney3 Member

umm... help? anyone read this thread anyhow? ... should I just use the J-3 cub from FiddlerGreen as a reference tool? *scratches head*
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

goney............ check you PMs
  5. goney3

goney3 Member

ahhh yes, I forgot about those :-D
  6. goney3

goney3 Member

Wow! I just watched a video posted on YouTube with the Legal Eagle... I want one more than anything right now.

Great in-flight footage:

With much thanks to John (Bowdenja) I now have a layout to start fiddling with. I guess you can say its in pre-alpha stage :-D

I might skin it like the one in the video *drools*

Its hard to find a 4 cycle ultralight that you can build yourself for around $2,000-$5,000 and construct in about 6 months time!
  7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Plan on spending $5000 plus. These figures having been around for a long time and do not take inflation into account. You better have all the tools necessary to do the build or it will cost you a lot more. Add in minimal 20 hours pilot training ( at least till you solo in a Piper 140 or something similar + tail dragger time). $10,000 would be more realistic to build an extremely safe x-rayed, magnafluxed frame and Pilot training, which is still ridiculously cheap all things considered.
  8. goney3

goney3 Member

True Zathros ... its always best to be conservative with numbers... then again, if the average American could pitch in $300 towards the project each month (spread over 6 months) they would only need a $7,800 loan to do the project (with the numbers you provided) :) ... as you said, "ridiculously cheap" :-D
  9. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I had a really bad car accident, almost died. All I could think about was that I had wished I got my pilots license. I am really close to doing that but may have problems with my medical. My point is that if you want to fly, FLY!!. It is an end unto itself and needs no justification. If you can afford it, do it. You will never regret it and it will be the highpoint of your life. I think building a plane ranks right up there too, but you don't have to build a plane to fly. $10,000 would give you a license and some flying time without the hassle of owning a plane. I used to work on planes and the annuals is what killed people. Albeit you do your own maintenance on an ultralight/sports category aircraft but it still costs a lot to do it right. At $125 an hour for flying w/instructor (50 hours)that would cost you $6250. You would have a Private Pilot license and enough money for 37 hours of flight time. The average person who flies a private plane does 2 hours max a week. Most do less. If you don't fly 200 hours a year a plane is not worth owning, you would be better off renting one. If you were commited, then buy the plane first then take your lessons on your plane. This does not apply to ultralights though as they are single seat units (at least the one you would own). A real good setup is the Sports Pilot category which allows you to work on your own plane if it is certified for that category. But now were talking a lot more money.
  10. goney3

goney3 Member

Yeah, I know how you feel ... I drive a Geo Metro hatchback ... its like a motorcycle on 4 wheels (you hit something, you die)... maybe thats why I am not fearful of ultralights? because I drive one! :-D ... that and my father is an aircraft mechanic/ rocket scientist. Im sure it'll work itself out.Though it will probably be a few years before I get started. Currently the thought of building an airplane in my 11x13' studio won't work ;) ... so I guess I'll work on the paper model version in the meantime and dream :) Congratulations on almost getting your license Zathros! Let us know when you complete it! That sounds wonderful :)