Legal Eagle

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by goney3, Dec 11, 2006.

1. goney3

goney3 Member

Hi Everyone,
    I have been searching for a model (or at least a 3d mesh) of the "Legal Eagle Ultralight".

If anyone knows where I could purchase one, it'll mean a lot to my father and I.
    Many thanks! :)
  2. goney3

goney3 Member

3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Have you tried BLENDER...............

Take the RC plane use as backgound and make it 3D in blender
  4. goney3

goney3 Member

Hmm... worth a shot, but how do I get the 4 page plans to being a single sheet for that? :-?
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Photoshop will do it.......... let me play with it and I'll email you the JPG.

6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Here ya go.............. It's a pdf here, you need a jpg file for Blender let me have your email.

Wait I think I can do the jpg.......... but here is the pdf so you can see it:grin:

Attached Files:

7. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Here's the jpg

Attached Files:

8. goney3

goney3 Member

WOW! Thank you John! :grin: I don't know how you did that, but thank you a million! You just saved me a huge headache.

Now to figure out 3D, fun times!

Thanks again!
  9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

You are welcome. It was nothing.

If you try BLENDER let me know, as I said I'm playing with it try to learn.

I might give the meshes a try and see how it does, if I do I'll send you the files so you can see what to do.

10. Zathros

Zathros Guest

A wonderful ultralight brought down by litigation.
  11. goney3

goney3 Member

:???: ... did I miss a news article somewhere? What happened?
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Boy do I feel stupid. It was the Airbike that got hit with the lawsuit. Sorry. I like the Legal Eagle. Really looks like a fun plane but as with any tail dragger be careful. If your thinking about flying you might want to consider getting a Sports Pilot rating before you fly anything. I have about 90 hrs. flying a Piper Warrior solo and I can't imagine flying anything without at least 20 hrs. Instructor time. Especially in something which is so sensitive to wind. Sorry for the mis-information. "I may not always be right, this time I was wrong".
  13. w.holzinger

w.holzinger Guest

Hi Bowdenja

I'm using Blender for a year now and did one complete project with it. Not that I have mastered every function but if you have a question please feel free to do so. May be I can help you.

Best regards, Wolfgang
  14. goney3

goney3 Member

Man, that is sad to hear about TEAM and the Airbike :(
    I seem to always miss those important news headlines. I guess Yahoo News doesn't cut it sometimes ;)

Anywho, so does anyone know how I would go about making the structure tubing? ... rolled paper? paper strips? toothpicks? Just cut the holes out from a single sheet? ... I'd like it to be all paper if possible, but the design not having that many solid surfaces could be a pain. :???:
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I was going to make a Piper Cub someday and I always thought about using that soft aluminum wire that they use for tying fences to the posts. It is extremely pliable and I think it would solder well. I thought that would work well for motorcycle models also. The other thing I would try are the wooden skewers used for cooking. They are cheap and available at your local supermarket. I agree about Team's Airbike. I ride motorcycles and have about 90 hours in a Piper Warrior. I always though the Airbike was really cool because you straddled it. I remember a Piper Cub coming into the airport. I was assisting in an annual and we found 2 broken welds in the air frame. The owner never noticed anything. The frames are well engineered with a build in redundancy. A quick repair, some new fabric and all was well.
  16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Goney3............. What scale are we talking about?

Larger (1/16, 1/24 or 1/33) you could do rolled paper around the correct sized wire and strengthen with CA glue.

Smaller you could use floral wire with paper wraped and cut flush on the back side.

If you really want to get serious............... you could always use wood dowels(or heaven forbid plastic:cry: ) and glue. Sortta like the old balsa and tissue thing.:grin:

17. goney3

goney3 Member

Thanks guys for the replies :)

I'm not too worried about scale as I am about materials used... my father is behind bars at San Quentin. Writing him a letter and sending the parts pages is pretty easy. There is a pretty big market for paper models in prisons right now. I have been pushing them on Prison Talk Online to stir up interest. There seems to be a lot of people looking into sending their inmates models (most don't even know what they are).

The vendors on here should really take a look at reaching out to this market. They have money and LOTS of free time to build paper models. Plus they are the only thing you can mail into the prison (everything else requires security contracts)... uhh, and no "pointy models" obviously :D plastic is also banned. Paper is pretty much monopolized. Muahahaha! :twisted:
  18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Well then........ Paper it is.................ok how about this for the tubing........... remember those old paper straws we used to get with our pints of milk?

If those could be mailed in I think all that would have to be done is removing the wax for the glue to set.

Or just design the think with some skin on the frame.........

19. goney3

goney3 Member

Paper straws? ... hehehe, I think you just dated yourself :grin:

Yeah, I think I'll take a stab at using just the plans and make the darn thing by hand. Even though I am young, I am terrible with 3D modeling stuff. I see the beautiful work a lot of the people do on here and I am awestruck!
  20. GT5500

GT5500 Member

I think you will struggle to find any aluminium that will solder, hell its hard enough for an expert to weld the stuff.
    Why not just roll paper tubes, with a bit of moisture and patience very thin straight tubes can easily be made.