Led for switch direction

ericpicc

May 2, 2011
Ok Well I've spent enough time looking and I can't find it.wall1
I'm using Atlas remote switch machine's left and right, what I wanted to know is I'm about to set up my control board and wanted to know how I can wire up a red led and green led to show the way the throw is on the switch, I did try on the actual control but only gave me a temporary light flicker.
So far I have 3 right turns and 3 left turns switch's and will be adding more down the track.
I apologise in advance if this was posted before but I just could not find it.:wave:

Try this:

(Just in case....NO Push button means "normally open")
The Atlas controls for switch machines are only single pole double throw and won't do what you what you want them to do, so you will have to make the change over to individual switches.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• LED.JPG
    LED.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 96
  • SwitchMachine.JPG
    SwitchMachine.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 99

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
That is an elegant solution , allowing for the continuous power for the LED's and momentary power for the switch machine.

Bill Nelson

ericpicc

May 2, 2011
:mrgreen:Thank you very much for that will give it a go.
Did try a while back to set up on dpdt switch and momentary push button but it did not work, now that I have this it might work for me.

That is an elegant solution , allowing for the continuous power for the LED's and momentary power for the switch machine.

Bill Nelson

Thanks Bill,

I use the same setup for my reverse/forward switches, only I use a 3PDT switch 2 poles for the direction and the 3rd for the LED. Maybe it could be done differently, but I like all the LEDs lighting up the control panel. I don't think I'll ever run DCC anyway.

Paul

mtfbwu97

Jun 1, 2011
Wow

wow that sounds awsom... soz i cant help you but if you do figure it out could you send me the plans for it????? :mrgreen:

ericpicc

May 2, 2011
No, it's not working for me.:cry:
I'm not an electronic's person so it's trail and error for me.
I soldered the push button to the centre and the red wire to one end and the black wire to the other end and it will only throw the switch one way not the other.
So I bought a centre off dpdt switch but nothing works at all now.
And I haven't even got to the LED's yet
Talking about "thick as 2 planks"wall1
I've asked at the electronic's store but I can't get them to talk layman's terms for me to understand.

If only this had to do with firearms I would have no problems:twisted:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
If only this had to do with firearms I would have no problems:twisted:[/QUOTE]

with firearms at least it can be assumed that the larger the caliber, the bigger the hole. Also if nothing else works, firearms can always be introduced later. they might not help the issue, but we will feel better.

Bill Nelson (especially fond of 50 Cal flintlocks!)

ericpicc

May 2, 2011
And if that still does not help then a big whopping hammer will.
Off to a train show today might be able to pick up some pointers.

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Yes the BFH is crude, but effective, I have a hand sledge, and an old blacksmith's hammer, but when they are available, aren't explosives preferable?

do you have a multi-meter? troubleshooting electrical stuff without one is real hit or miss, If you like, I could do a basic tutorial (DC- I don''t understand half of what I know about DCC, cause it works by FM [F****** Magic].

Bill nelson former auto tech.

ericpicc

May 2, 2011
:wave: Thanks all.
I do have a multimeter and will have another crack at it, it's one of those things I think I have to step away from for a minute, and come back to it.
Anyway, I've pulled my layout apart and will start again from scratch I didn't like the look of it...

I wonder how many times I'll change my mind on the layout.:eek:

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
revisions

since I hand lay my track, and build my switches, I tend to spend a lot of time in the design phase, and something has got to be really bad before I will tear it out and start over.

Bill Nelson

ericpicc

May 2, 2011
No not that bad, just wanting to go a different way than I did.
That will teach me for buying Rail mags and getting new ideas.

No, it's not working for me.:cry:
I'm not an electronic's person so it's trail and error for me.
I soldered the push button to the centre and the red wire to one end and the black wire to the other end and it will only throw the switch one way not the other.
So I bought a centre off dpdt switch but nothing works at all now.
And I haven't even got to the LED's yet
Talking about "thick as 2 planks"wall1
I've asked at the electronic's store but I can't get them to talk layman's terms for me to understand.

If only this had to do with firearms I would have no problems:twisted:

What kind of switch machines are you using?