Leaving before the light fades

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
The sun is close to setting and reflects harshly off the buildings at West Mill Jct. The yard tracks, however, are already in shadow making it difficult to see a departing freight headed by an F unit A-B combination. They'll need their sun visors for about 15 more minutes before darkness falls..... :cool:
Ralph

Attachments

• j1hudson.jpg
    j1hudson.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 155

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks folks! Tom, I have to confess the effect is a happy accident. I use a cheap camera and two table lamps without their shades for lighting. The flash on the camera did not go off for this shot and provided the moody pic you see. I have a version of the same pic where the flash DID go off and its not nearly as interesting! :)
I liked the one above the minute I saw it.
Ralph

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
A beautiful picture, Ralph!

Sometimes an 'accident' turns out to be a blessing! This way you got a really moody picture.

I love that whispy smoke trail in the evening sky in the right background. Is it painted on the backdrop or did you mount some sort of cotton 'smoke' tuffs?

Ron

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Thanks Ron. The smoke is cotton batting left over from one of my wife's projects. I pull it out a bit, remove any thicker threads, and then paint a little glue on the back drop before pressing the cotton into it. I have the "smoke" coming out of an industrial smoke stack that is also glued to the back drop. I like the effect too.
Ralph