Leading edges...?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Wily, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Wily

Wily Member

My cardmodeling experience spans about 10 years and includes the gamut of kits.

My preference is for airplanes.

I recently purchased a 1/50 scale Spitfire from papermodels.net. It's a fairly basic kit - the brand is unintelligible as I can't read Polish and the kit doesn't appear to be branded very well.

Nevertheless, I suspect it's reasonably designed and will produce a nice, desert-camo Spitfire Mk.V.

My question to you all concerns the leading edges of the compound-curve surfaces.

The tail is constructed in halves that must be joined along the leading and trailing edges. The leading edge of the wing is also designed so a large portion of it must be butted-up against the other side to create the leading edge.

My desire is to create an even, curved joining of the leading-edge seams, just like the real machine. If the edges were perfectly straight, this isn't much of a problem. But on compound curves, getting a nice rounded leading edge appears daunting.

How would you recommend I proceed...?

Thank you in advance.

2. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Good question and something that has me worried as well I await the advice of the guru's!
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

4. Wily

Wily Member

Thank you.