LC&P - Progress Pics

steamhead

Hi guys,

Just a few pics of the miserly progress taking place on the layout. They're from the area I need to finish before progressing to the next phase, as another line will cross in front of this, making access a bit difficult.

Comments & suggestions are most welcome.

Attachments

• EL DIABLO N1.JPG
    EL DIABLO N1.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 208
  • EL DIABLO N2.JPG
    EL DIABLO N2.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 205
  • EL DIABLO N3.JPG
    EL DIABLO N3.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 210
  • STARITA1.JPG
    STARITA1.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 206
  • STARITA2.JPG
    STARITA2.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 207

steamhead

I just need to add a little more ground cover, people and junk to make it look "lived in". There will also be a backdrop to get rid of that all too-white background.
Work, work work...

UP SD40-2

EngineerKyle said:
Looking good! I especially like the ballast in that last shot.
Gus!:wave:, looks like your coming along quite nicely!:thumb: i have to agree with EngineerKyle, GREAT JOB on the Ballasting:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: .

steamhead

Hi,
Ballasting I'd done before. Painted rails are new for me. These were done following Shaygetz's "slather-it-on" technique. Took the mystery out of it & it works quite well.
Thanks for your comments, Kyle and Dean.:thumb:

Nazgul

Gus....
More more more...I want to see more!announce1
First of all, your rails do look great!:thumb: But the rock work and it's great coloring really stood out for me :thumb: :thumb: (I wonder why):D probably the rocks in my head and layout. I also think you're right about the back drop...it will really set off the scenery and structures. But Gus...I want to see more!!!!!
keep up the great work:thumb: :thumb: two thumbs...way up!

steamhead

Thanks. You guys are too kind. I'm afraid the rest is still "Plywood Flatlands", and I'm thinking of re-doing the first portion of the scenery to "bring it up" to the later work...
So much to do...So little time.

steamhead

Hi,
No, I haven't. How would I go about doing this??? I don't have any of that photo/draw software (& if I did, wouldn't know how to use it...).

Nazgul

Don't worry 'bout it

I don't have any of that photo/draw software (& if I did, wouldn't know how to use it...).

Gus
You and me bothsign1
Here's what I tried:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showpost.php?p=180734&postcount=1

I used graph paper and a marker and then took a pic of it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Don't bother...I just thought if you had a pic of your track plan, it would be cool to see it...you have more important things to do....like workin' on your railroad!
keep us posted:wave:

steamhead

Hi,

I'll get it a try. I do have the plan on graph paper, so I'll make a copy, use marker on it & take a picture. I'll post it ASAP. Thanks for the tip.:thumb:

steamhead

Hi guys,
Here's a pic of the track plan. A few words about it.
The track "around the room" is all layed-both yards and mainline, except for the line that goes from the main yard up to the mine area. This is the line that will curtail access to the area against the back wall. The peninsula in the center is not framed out yet, nor do I have a clear track plan yet for this area.. The scenery I've done is against the back wall and will move with the scenery around to the area of the small yard. Well, that's where I'm at. Your comments and ideas are welcome.:thumb:

Attachments

• LAYOUT PLAN.jpg
    LAYOUT PLAN.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 146

Collyn

I see im too late but if you ever want to draw a layout i think atlas has a program you can download. I use abracadatas program which gives you a great 3d veiw

doctorwayne

Lookin' good, Gus.:thumb: :thumb: It's surprising what a difference the painted rails make. That's also a very ambitious track plan you've posted, and it's got me looking forward to seeing more as your work progresses.

Wayne

steamhead

Thanks for your comments. :thumb: A lot of what I've accomplished has had its start here. There's a little something I forgot to mention. The outermost line that runs across the front of the layout leads to a 4 track staging yard under the small yard (Portales). The staging area is mounted on drawer slides so it can be accessed without having to dive under the layout. It's not operational yet as there's not that much traffic being generated at this point in time.
Here's a picture. You can see a part of it on the lower right hand part of the picture.

Attachments

• staging.JPG
    staging.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 53

steamhead

Hi Miles. Thanks for visiting. The little 10 wheeler runs quite smoothly but its pulling power is nothing to write home about. It just doesn't have the weight required to do a good pulling job. I took off the spring under the pilot truck & that helped some. It'll pull 5-6 cars OK on level track. Forget about climbing a grade. That little 10 wheeler was my first new "Spectrum" engine. Since then I've acquired 3 others. Great steamers for the price!!

Nazgul

Gus
For someone who didn't know how to post a trackplan...You sure did a great job of posting one!:thumb:

I agree with Wayne..that is an ambitious plan and it also looks like a lot of fun to run. Being a relative newbie, I have no advice to give on trackplans or ops but from what I see...You don't need any:thumb:

One thing I will say is...Take pictures of everything. Each step of the way, post a pic. I found getting other people involved not only let me "pick their brains" but also motivates me to keep at it. Speaking for myself, I love to look at other people's layouts IN PROGRESS especially. Usually we see "finished" work but not how they got there.
Gus, your layout is going to be something special so.......keep sharin':thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

steamhead

Steve,
Thanks for your observations. The plan has two objectives, one is to be operationally challenging, and just working the yards more than fulfills that portion; and the other is to be able to take a couple of trains, turn them loose, and go railfanning!! It's great to just be able to watch them do their thing!
It's frustrating not to be able to get it done faster, but then - you're supposed to have fun while you're at it...!!!sign1