Layouts sizes and config's

tonphil1960

Hi all,

Anyone have a small layout that goes around 2 or 3 inside corners? in a small area say 4'x8'x4' This is what I am planning, I would like to see some for comparison? I have done much research and the more I look and draw layouts up the more confused I get:)

I want to go with a main area of 24x48 a leg off of that 12" wide and 6' long and maybe a third leg another 12"x4' long. The third leg I can make 14 wide maybe.
U shaped.

How much width do I need for a N scale turntable? what it the minimum width I need for a complete U turn. I am trying to figure out benchwork sizes which I am trying to keep it to a minimum

Thanks Tony

jetrock

A small N scale turntable takes about 6-8" in diameter, not counting a roundhouse. A complete 180 degree turn at the most common minimum radius in N scale takes about 20-22 inches (assuming a 9.75" radius snap-track piece) but many larger N scale locomotives can't handle that type of curve.

What is it you are trying to do? A central loop with a couple of extensions for yards, branch lines, industry?

tonphil1960

Thanks guys, I'll check out the link. I have a small room that I use for modeling now. I am going to build the main loop over my bench and run 2 narrow legs along the other 2 walls. The legs can only be 12" wide. I want to put the turntable and yard at the far end on a 12" leg I hope I can do that. I can always make it just a yard too but my road calls for a turntable.

Tony