Layouts sizes and config's

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by tonphil1960, Jan 11, 2006.

1. tonphil1960

tonphil1960 Member

Hi all,

Anyone have a small layout that goes around 2 or 3 inside corners? in a small area say 4'x8'x4' This is what I am planning, I would like to see some for comparison? I have done much research and the more I look and draw layouts up the more confused I get:)

I want to go with a main area of 24x48 a leg off of that 12" wide and 6' long and maybe a third leg another 12"x4' long. The third leg I can make 14 wide maybe.
    U shaped.

How much width do I need for a N scale turntable? what it the minimum width I need for a complete U turn. I am trying to figure out benchwork sizes which I am trying to keep it to a minimum

Thanks Tony
  2. jetrock

jetrock Member

A small N scale turntable takes about 6-8" in diameter, not counting a roundhouse. A complete 180 degree turn at the most common minimum radius in N scale takes about 20-22 inches (assuming a 9.75" radius snap-track piece) but many larger N scale locomotives can't handle that type of curve.

What is it you are trying to do? A central loop with a couple of extensions for yards, branch lines, industry?
  3. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Tony, have a look at the track plan for the CVR, the link is part way down the home page. (link in signature)
  4. tonphil1960

tonphil1960 Member

Thanks guys, I'll check out the link. I have a small room that I use for modeling now. I am going to build the main loop over my bench and run 2 narrow legs along the other 2 walls. The legs can only be 12" wide. I want to put the turntable and yard at the far end on a 12" leg I hope I can do that. I can always make it just a yard too but my road calls for a turntable.