Layout with Unitrack

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Hi all,

I am new to this group.
I have tryed to rework a trackplan from Ian Rice called "East Suffolk Shortline Railroad".
I tryed to use Kato Unitrack for this trackplan.
In N-scale I need only 9' bt 6' to modify this layout.
Basicly it is a point to point and I have redesigned this layout that it could be used as a continious loop with a lot of switching possebilities.
Hope this works
File of trackplan attached( I hope)

Paul

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Not a bad start, but it seems you have a whole lot of empty in the middle. Also if the dimensions are 9' by 6' it will either have to be free standing in the middle of the room or one end against the wall because you won't be able to reach into it to work on it.:eek:

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I like the overall design. Is this plan intended as a shelf layout, or will it be on a table?

Like Tyson said, that Kato Unitrack is EXPENSIVE! I hear that its easy to use and pretty reliable, though; so if money is no object, go for it!

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Thanks for reply.

The benchwork will be a free standing table with a hole in the middle from where I can run my trains.
This a sort of shelf type layout with shelf width varying from 1' to 1' 6". Layout height about 4'.

I know Unitrack is expensive but after two years of experimenting with it I own a lot of it.

Cheers,
Paul

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Paul and welcome to the gauge. Thats a nice looking plan, but as stated, could do with some more visual effects even if you intend to control it from the middle. Why not have a Mine somewhere off towards the middle.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Paul!
Welcome to The Gauge!
If the "shelf" width is only 1 - 1 1/2' wide, why not simply hang narrow shelves on the wall of the room, & then you would retain most of the room for any other purpose you might need, & this would be a simpler form of construction than a single massive structure.
This would also enable you to build it in sections. As many, or as few as you wanted to try.
The plan is excellent...narrow shelves & N scale are a good match for building a great little RR.
Good luck, & keep us posted on your progress!

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
Great comments guys,

Shamus, great idea about a mine, but I think it should be attached on the outside of the loop leaving room for me in the middle of the layout, maybe I can rearrange a siding running on a grade...... back to the drawboard.

Charlie, I must admit shelves at the wall arround the room are ideal, but the room I can use for the trains has to much windows and of corse a door, therefore the idea of a standalone table attached to the only free wall I have.

Paul