layout start roger

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Well Josh (baakko) started a post for building a new layout and im hoping if I jump in now to start building mine I will get motivation from Josh's work.
aussie:mrgreen:

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
got some starting pics.
newlayout001.jpg

a desk/work bench I put together yesterday.
newlayout002.jpg

newlayout003.jpg

newlayout004.jpg

newlayout005.jpg

newlayout006.jpg

newlayout007.jpg

newlayout008.jpg

and the watch cat protecting the room from the baby cats
newlayout009.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Looking good Roger! The danger of my viewing threads like this is that I get tempted to tear everything up and start again! Starting a layout is an exciting time! By the way, watch cat is sleeping on the job! :)
Ralph

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Hey Triplex those are a couple a Rivarossi A(powered) A(dummy) locos I picked Up when I was working in Germany. 150 marks (about 50 us dollars) back in 1992.
Got one set of missouri pacific and one rock island set. They dont have alot of weight in them , not sure how good they are.
newlayout.jpg

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Made some progress on the frame work over the last couple of weeks. Got the big wall, about 19 feet long done.
newlayout029-1.jpg

newlayout028.jpg

newlayout034-1.jpg

newlayout032-1.jpg

I need to ad another 10 feet of frame work where the lamp is in this picture.
newlayout029-1.jpg

Then put down some pink foam, which should be easier than the frame work. Still dont have a lot of strength in the left arm so it was hard to keep the wood up and put screws in. After the foam is up I get to start laying track. I am waiting to put the cross braces in until after I get the track laid so I dont hit a spot where there is going to be a switch machine. I am using 2 x 4 for the wood on the wall and 1 bys for the main beams and cross supports. I took a 1 x 6 and ripped (cut along the length) 2 " off and glued and screwed this to the remaining 4 " to make a l beam.
newlayout033-1.jpg

It feels like it should be pretty strong. Oh well going to go do some more work on it. Thanks for looking