Layout search

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
We have been out of the area for awhile and Iv'e not had the opportunity to keep abreast of what is happening on the forum--
Just a few days ago, I thought I saw something about a visual tour of Dr Wayne's layout. This would be something that would go into my Favorites so if one of you could be so kind as to post a link, I would appreciate it.
One other question, my steam engine with sound has a low constant sort of hum, then a sort of ching-ching sound, then the whistle, then the bell and finally the chuff-chuff when moving. What is the humming noise and the ching-ching noise on a real engine? It also makes the ching-ching noise a little while running.
Thanks for your help-------------John R

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Thank you Russ! This is it. The illusion of space and depth in his various past photos is so good, that it's amazing to see the overall pictures and be reminded that from front to back is just a few feet.
Thanks again for your quick response------John

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
The sounds you hear will depend on the type of unit you have... it's a function of whose sound unit is in it.

I suspect the noises you are hearing when the unit is standing still are the air compressor, injectors and dynamo... all noises a tea-kettle would make while standing still.

jr switch

Oct 11, 2006
northern Indiana
Squidbait, thanks for your reply. The engine is a new Bachmann Spectrum Russian decapod---Blew me away when I first put it on the tracks cause the woman I talked to at Bachmann said that the sounds would not work on DC and that It would run a little slower. [ I bought one with sound because a tech at Bachmann told me that the Decapods with sound have an insulater panel and do not short out to the axles ] When at first it didn't move I thought, great, another with the Decapod electrical problem. Then as I kept giving it more power, the sounds kicked in. At first is a noise that could be steam, then the metallic tic-tac noise, then the whistle, bell and the chuff-chuff as it's running. My wife loves it. Going to Indianapolis tomorrow and I'm hoping that I can find another with sound in my price range.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
The "ching-ching" sound could also be the firebox doors and fireman's shovel as he works the firebox... but I'm not sure just how much sound is simulated on the Bachmanns... that's a sweet loco, though. They're nice runners.