Layout Room Lighting

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
So my wife and I are in the process of buying a house, and it looks like I'll have a pretty good-sized layout room. The ceiling is a drop type, so it would be pretty easy to install lighting as I see fit.

I'm looking for recommendations for types of lights, as well as placement - i.e., standard grid, or overtop of where the layout will be, etc.

I'm quite excited - my 7 x 12 layout in the garage will be dismantled soon, but I'll be saving most of the pieces for inclusion in the new layout.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Use Daylight Fluorescent Tubes spaced at 18" intervals on the ceiling. Just use one in the middle of the room for normal work, for photos, switch um all on.
Shamus

scottg28

Nov 4, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
sorry to horn in on your thread Mike, but I think this will apply to both of us, and just never got around to posting in my question thread

Shamus and/or anyone,

Are these a specific bulb type that work in any housing. In other words can I buy and install the regular hard wire flourescent housings and just use these bulbs?
Should the bulbs be in pairs in the housings?
In a 13 x 19 room how many do I really need?
If I used 2 switches for control, how many would I need to be general work lighting?

One issue I have is that an 8 inch heating duct runs lengthwise about half down the middle of the room, and as I have only 8 ft ceilings, I was planning to mount lighting directly below the floor joists to maximize the height, thus if I install a drop ceiling it would be only about 6 inches down if possible.

thanks for help,

scott

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
I think you can get dimmers for flouro lights now. Not sure. But have you thought about using dimmers as well, Mike? For that romantic moon lit night effect? You know... the honeymoon express? Or a good smokey car with that card game going on in that compartment?:cool:

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I did some quick research and there is dimmable florescent lighting available, however is seems to require special balasts and bulbs. I'm not sure that the daylight bulbs that everyone is refering to falls under that catagory.
I'd be more than happy if someone could prove me wrong though. :thumb: :thumb:

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
My Daylight Fluorescents are not Bulb's they are TUBES and are 5 feet long each one, and I have 9 on the ceiling. I have them wired so just one comes on for normal working when I need photography, a further 2 switches will bring in the others.
Here's what they look like.
Shamus

flu.jpg

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Fifer, my tubes are Philips TL'D 58watt 950 You should be able to get these tunes as they are quite common over here in the UK. 4' tubes will work just as well.
Shamus

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Mike, I do pretty much as Shamus suggested, I space mine 2 feet apart. Drop celing panela are 2x4 so this works well. I find the lighting nice and even. Don't have the drop ceiling in place on this side of the layout so you can see their spacing.

Attachments

• p1010464jpg.jpg
    p1010464jpg.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 115