layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
sign1 Miles & Josh, you guys are GREAT! THANKS!:eek:ops: :D yes, as long as dad is still around, i will probably live close by. ma is doing ok, but dad isn't doing to well:(. he still likes model RRing(hes been into it non stop since 1964), but has a hard time. so on the new layout we are doing at his house i have been doing most of the modeling. we incorporated a previous switching layout into it. it is set in the transition period, thats the time frame dad likes best:D. he is big into CNW and Milwaukee road, so he doesn't complain about the CNW or MILWAUKEE road stuff i have there, he doesn't even mind my UP steamers, infact, he likes to run most of my stuff because it all has sound:thumb:. he only has 1 sound engine, 4 DCC engines,and a TON of DC engines. this is why i set his layout up to run DC or DCC with just a flip the toggle switch:D. i have to fight dad to keep and run my DD40X and DD35 there though, "they just take up space where my CNW's could be":rolleyes: i hear that alot.sign1 God bless him:D. THANKS for asking.:D -Deano

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
I cant wait to have a huge layout of my own. I dont make all that much..about 330 a week..but im studying for my CDL's right now and want to be an over the road truck driver. I'd love to get the Pac. Northwest. A lot of companies around here pay between 850-1000 a week to deliver to the midwest/west coast. I dont want East Coast. Once I start making more money..on comes the layout of my dreams to be built. I want long coal drags, intermodals, boxcars-autoracks, just like they run out here and ontop of that i want to be able to model the amtrak capitol or lakeshore limiteds. My dream engine is the J Class 4884 N&W 611 which i rode on in the early 90's. Not to mention my oodles of Geeps I already own. lol Oh and like Josh said..I cant wait till next year to see what you bring to the table for us Dean...if they are already amazing now, when you get your larger layout going, they might just be breathtaking!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Jeff:wave:, FIRST, THANK YOU!, YOU, are to kind.:D **Jeff, i wish you the best of luck on getting your CDL:thumb:. i have known MANY truck drivers(through my job), and most all really like there job;). the ONLY thing i have heard them complain about, is that they are never home. except for that, they seem to really like their job:thumb:. i hope things work out for you.:D **hey Jeff, i am a little confused, you wrote that your fav engine is a J class 4884 N&W 611. did you mean a J class 4-8-8-4 N&W #611? :confused: ...and if that IS what you meant, then I AM REALLY CONFUSED!:confused: please, i am NOT well versed in steam, HOWEVER, i thought ONLY MY FAVORITE steam engine, the Big Boy, were the ONLY 4-8-8-4's madetooth1. am i wrong:confused:(i could be?), or am i just taking what you wrote wrong:confused:(i DARN SURE could be doing that tootooth1)...just curioustooth1. Jeff, AGAIN, THANKS MAN!:D -Deano View attachment 28228

Attachments

• 3963.jpg
    3963.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 97

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
EXCURSION!, on the Rock Valley sub...

well folks, those guys on the Rock Valley sub have out done themselves AGAIN!!:thumb::D they have FULLY restored an E6A, and set her out on an excursion run!!!:thumb::D i was lucky enough to be there to catch some "roll by" shots of it.;)tooth1 **hey, i have a trivia question, just curious if ANYONE knows it, on UP's VERY LAST passenger service run, what was on the drum head that was on the end of the observation car?:confused: sorry guys, i don't think there will be a "prize" with the correct answer to this one, the last prize for the trivia question doctorwayne won darn near took all my life savings.:eek:;)tooth1:D GOOD LUCK!!:D -Deano View attachment 28229 View attachment 28230 View attachment 28231 View attachment 28232 View attachment 28233

Attachments

• EX1.JPG
    EX1.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 102
  • EX2.JPG
    EX2.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 98
  • EX3.JPG
    EX3.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 98
  • EX4.JPG
    EX4.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 97
  • EX5.JPG
    EX5.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 97

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Deano, check out railpictures.net and do a search for UP E units rolling by the Arch in St. Louis. Really neat pictures of an excursion train! Great for modeling.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey!!

Great pictures of diesels, but that BIG BOY really got my juices running....I'm kinda a UP fan myself, as that's all to be seen in my neck of the woods (along with BNSF's and a lot of the gobbled-up roads). But probably comes from having a GP-20 in UP colors given to me for Christmas a looooooooonng time ago (1/2 60's).
The first picture of the three posted on the previous page is awesome-nearly dropped my jaw...I wonder who did the scenicking as that's just the look I want to achieve on my layout! Ha, ha...Fat chance.
Keep those pics coming.:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
Yeah, Dean..sorry I hit 8 one too many times. Its a 4-8-4. MY Mistake. Only 4884 were the big boys to my knowledge too. Im more versed with modern day diesels myself. Thanks for the great words and really awesome pix once again. I love passenger trains.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
steamhead said:
Hey!!

Great pictures of diesels, but that BIG BOY really got my juices running....I'm kinda a UP fan myself...Gus (LC&P).
steamhead:wave:, THANKS!:D glad to hear your a UP fan too!!!:thumb::D i am not as big into steam as i am into diesels, but I DO like steam, and the Big Boy is at the top of my steam favorites!:thumb::D **Herc:wave:, THANK YOU!, for letting me know about the AWESOME E unit pics!:thumb: i put quite a few pics into my collection;), thanks man:D. **Miles:wave:, i TOTALLY AGREE!:thumb:, the Big Boy IS an AWESOME engine:D, and NO, sorry, i DID NOT take that pic, though i wish i had;)tooth1. THANKS GUYS!:D -Deano View attachment 28259

Attachments

• PDVD_062.JPG
    PDVD_062.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 143

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
NSES44DC said:
Yeah, Dean..sorry I hit 8 one too many times. Its a 4-8-4. MY Mistake. Only 4884 were the big boys to my knowledge too. Im more versed with modern day diesels myself. Thanks for the great words and really awesome pix once again. I love passenger trains.
Jeff:wave:, THANK YOU!, for the kind words, and thanks for clearing that up, i was a little confused.:D you are one lucky guy to have rode on a Northern!;) hey, i too like Northerns!:D from what i have read, they were real reliable, and if i am correct, were the last of the mainline steamers to run. i have a Rivarossi UP F-E-F-3(4-8-4), i put a LokSound decoder in it, runs NICE.:D -Deano View attachment 28260

Attachments

• DSC00081.JPG
    DSC00081.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 142

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
The New UP Heritage Report, and more...

has anyone seen the last two Heritage units UP has put out? they were the Rio Grand(pic1) and the CNW(pic2), both in my opinion are AWESOME!:thumb::D i feel BOTH of these were done in good taste.:thumb::D I have to be honest, the ONLY one i liked before these two was the Katy;). the Heritage units are painted on new EMD SD70ACe's(pic3), these engines are EMD's answer to the popular GE AC6000CW's(pic4). the SD70ACe is EMD's new super power engine, UP is replacing the EMD SD90/43MAC's(pic5) with the new SD70ACe's. i REALLY like the new EMD's, but hate to see the SD90/43MAC's go, there are only a couple left on UP's roster today:(. **GREAT NEWS for the modern UP modeler/collector, BLI is making the GE AC6000CW, its due in Aug-Sept, and Tower55 is making the EMD SD70ACe, its due in Sept-Oct. BOTH are a MUST HAVE, for any UP collector!!!:thumb::D till next time...stay on track!:D -Deano View attachment 28270 View attachment 28271 View attachment 28272 View attachment 28273 View attachment 28274

Attachments

• RG.JPG
    RG.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 139
  • UP_1995CNW.jpg
    UP_1995CNW.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 142
  • SD70ACe.jpg
    SD70ACe.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 139
  • AC6000CW.jpg
    AC6000CW.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 138
  • SD9043MAC.JPG
    SD9043MAC.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 136

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
Gee, that was fast! when were the SD90's built? 1996? '90, or earlier?
Miles:wave:, i believe they came out in 96, and UP had a total of 22 of them. most of the UP SD90/43MAC's were used on coal drags, problem is, engines on drags like that don't last long:(. the MAIN reason they are being replaced is they are NOT fuel efficient, the new SD70MAc's and AC6000CW's are the most fuel efficiant super engines out now:thumb: :D -Deano

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice diesels photos, Dean. While I'd be hard-pressed to tell one of the newer models from another, they certainly have a brutish appeal about them that bespeaks of their power. The Heritage schemes aren't bad either, although the stylized mountains on the Rio Grande unit look like they should be in an ad for Coors.:D I'm guessing that the darker colour on the C&NW unit is green: on my steam-powered computer monitor (from the days when the colour "red" was an extra-cost option), that colour appears as a non-too-attractive brown.
I also enjoyed your E6A excursion train, but I'm curious as to the origin (manufacturer) of the second car (Slumbercoach?), and the fourth car. Also, is that sharp-looking E6 from Proto2000?
As for your trivia question, which everyone seems to have overlooked, I probably saw it in a Trains magazine, but can't recall what it was. (The magazines, about 30 years worth, were given to a friend and are about 2000 miles west of here, so it's a little too far to go in order to check through them.) However, not ever being one to worry about lookin' stupid, did it have anything to do with the Overland Route? At least maybe this will help generate a few better-educated responses.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne said:
...I'm guessing that the darker colour on the C&NW unit is green: on my steam-powered computer monitor (from the days when the colour "red" was an extra-cost option), that colour appears as a non-too-attractive brown.
I also enjoyed your E6A excursion train, but I'm curious as to the origin (manufacturer) of the second car (Slumbercoach?), and the fourth car. Also, is that sharp-looking E6 from Proto2000?
As for your trivia question, which everyone seems to have overlooked, I probably saw it in a Trains magazine, but can't recall what it was... Wayne
Wayne!:wave:, glad you popped in:D, and THANK YOU! for the VERY KIND words:D. to answer you questions, yes, the color that appeared brown on your "steam-powered"sign1monitor, was really green;). the manufacture of BOTH cars you asked about is Walther's. the second car is a PS 4-4-2 sleeper, and the fourth car is a PS 52 seat coach:thumb:. the E6A is infact, a proto 2000;). **Wayne, i was going to just let the trivia question slip by, after thinking about it, i guess I AM the biggest UP fan on this forum, so the question may have been a little unfair to ask, sorry guys, i wont do that again:eek:ops:...HOWEVER, since YOU brought it up(thanks Wayne:D), i will answer it and give a touch of history to this post;)tooth1. **QUESTION: on the VERY LAST UP passenger train run, what was printed on the drum on the last car on the train? **ANSWER: the word that was on the drum was...ADIOS!:D **A LITTLE HISTORY, on April 30 1971, UP train 109, "the City of Los Angeles" made its LAST run from Chicago to LA. it was a MAJOR news event, two flags were placed on the E9A #932(i am still waiting for the outfit the girl is wearing to come back in styletooth1...sorry folks, got carried away:eek:ops:), one of the flags was the American flag, the other was the flag of the state of California. this last run carried UP brass, celebrities and common folk alike, all wanted to be a part of that last historical ride...i submit to you, 4 photos of this event, the last two are PROOF of the drum that read "ADIÓS" on that sad LAST passenger service run for UP. THANKS,:D -Deano View attachment 28306 View attachment 28307 View attachment 28308 View attachment 28309

Attachments

• PDVD_1.JPG
    PDVD_1.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 126
  • PDVD_2.JPG
    PDVD_2.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 123
  • PDVD_3.JPG
    PDVD_3.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 124
  • PDVD_4.JPG
    PDVD_4.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 124

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Nice pics, Dean. That engineer wished he had a crane's neck to get a good "gander" at the cutie climbing all over his engine...

A trivia question of my own...(and I don't know the answer): What was the very last passenger run of the "signature" trains (i.e., Super Chief, Broadway Limited, etc.)?

Gus (LC&P).

Status
Not open for further replies.