layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Actually, Dean, I think that 'Frisco 1630, and a lot of her sisters around the U.S., were the prototype for the Bachmann engine. The "Russian" decapods were built for export to Russia, but because of the Russian revolution, I believe that the U.S. government vetoed their export. The locos were instead distributed to various roads around the U.S.: I'm not sure if this was under the auspices of the USRA or not. Let's hope that we've got some 'Frisco steam fans among our members who can shed some more light on this.

Wayne

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
Dean, I idolize your layout and your collection of trains. Ive never seen one, more "complete" even though a layout is never complete. Keep up the great work and keep bringing us these fantastic pics of your layout and personal photos of trains. Its a true work of art that you bring to this forum. Love the RSD15...both real and modeled!

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
wickman said:
Nice pics and what a roundhouse:wave:
wickman, THANKS!:D hey, you bet they had a nice round house!:thumb: another thing that really got me was ALL their engines had sound! to see and hear all those O scale steamers run was just slap AWESOME!:D **Wayne, i believe you are 100% correct:thumb:. i took Miles question as "was that exact engine #1630 Frisco" the prototype for bachmanns Russians(stupid me:rolleyes:). thank you for giving some history on the decapods:thumb:. sure i am an engine nut, but my expertise lies in diesels:thumb: , i am NOT well versed in steam:(...unless its a UP F-E-F, Challenger or Big Boy:D...ANYWAYS, thanks Wayne, i enjoyed that!:thumb: :thumb: :D -Deano

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
MilesWestern said:
Where did the GBW get their RSD-15's?
NSES44DC and Miles:wave:, THANKS! again for the compliments!!!:D. **Miles, i took a pic of the card that hangs on that engine, it will answer your question:thumb:. below are the three "faces" that GBW #2407 Alco RSD-15 had;). heres a couple interesting facts about GBW & GBW#2407; GBW bought 6 RSD-15's from LS&I, GBW had big plans for these engines, but they were so wore out from doing ore drags, they hardly used them for more then short runs and switching. GBW engines were ALL ALCO'S!:thumb:...and last, the six RSD-15's GBW had were the ONLY 6 axle Alcos in there fleet, ALL the rest of there engines were 4 axle Alcos;) View attachment 28142 View attachment 28143 View attachment 28144 View attachment 28145

Attachments

• SUNP0038.JPG
    SUNP0038.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 126
  • sf rsd15.JPG
    sf rsd15.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 123
  • LS&I.JPG
    LS&I.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 126
  • gbwrsd.JPG
    gbwrsd.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 125

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Deano, I read in one of your posts that people on some other forum were picking on you for beeing an UP fan. When I had a look at the Atlas forum, I saw that UP bashing seems to be a famous sport over there. I am not living in the US, so I can’t understand where this hatred of UP comes from :confused: . Is it just that they are the biggest railroad company today (sometimes that is enough to cause bad feelings), or is it their licensing policy (most big companies do the same), or sometihng else? Do you have any idea? I don’t want to start a discussion on UP, I only try to understand what is going on there.

BTW, I really enjoy your thread. Besides the topics, it’s very interesting to see, how you keep it going for such a long time without ever getting lame :wave: .

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I think it's silly. The "hatred" of UP would be a little strong. I would say, mutual dislike.( but for my opinion on liscencing , see post #237) All my favorite roads were swallowed by UP as I said in one of my first posts here. But hey, that as they say, "Is history." Plus it makes it more exciting to find a car or locomotive that's a "Fallen Flag" :thumb: Plus, my town has WP SP and even the South Pacific Coast narrow gauge go through it at the same time (!) and during different eras. All that is gone now, either abanboned, or merged.

I've got the Niles Canyon Railway right in my lil' town, and they keep the fallen flags waving proudly! :thumb:

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Miles, thank you for your explanation. I can understand that UP doesn’t make new friends with this licensing policy, but it is stupid to pick on modelers who still like UP. I am glad it doesn’t happen here at The Gauge. Deano, I like your collection of UP engines. O.k. that’s enough on this topic.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Just MY Views on UP Licensing...

cnw1961 said:
Deano, I read in one of your posts that people on some other forum were picking on you for beeing an UP fan. When I had a look at the Atlas forum, I saw that UP bashing seems to be a famous sport over there. I am not living in the US, so I can’t understand where this hatred of UP comes from :confused: . Is it just that they are the biggest railroad company today (sometimes that is enough to cause bad feelings), or is it their licensing policy (most big companies do the same), or sometihng else? Do you have any idea? I don’t want to start a discussion on UP, I only try to understand what is going on there.
Kurt:wave:, you have brought up a VERY good question, but its also a VERY controversial one. i read your post last night and wanted to answer it, but i was hoping more views on this would show up on here about it. THANK YOU, Miles for giving your views on this matter. **OK, to start out, i would like to NOT start a UP war on here! the MAIN reason like like this forum so much is because the people here ARE above the petty fighting that you find at other forums.:thumb: i can honestly say NO ONE HERE has EVER gave me ANY flack about modeling/collecting UP:D. i have received NOTHING short of kindness and respect here:thumb:. THAT, my friends, says ALOT about the people here at the Gauge:thumb::thumb::thumb::D. **MY VIEWS;announce1 first, in the world as it is today, this is a byproduct of Big Business, UP is NOT the only company that does this. think about the glass or coffee mug you have that has -insert your fav sports team here- logo on it, you could buy the same glass/coffee mug for $2.99, yet you paid $12.00 for it:confused:. the same thing goes for the clothes you wear, tools you buy, the list goes on and on;). **LETS GET BACK TO OUR HOBBY, i model UP for MANY reasons, they are the OLDEST RR still running today, and have a VERY rich history. UP wasn't scarred to try out new things as far as engines goes. think about this, would there have been Big Blow turbines, U50c's, Big Boys, or DD40's, just to name a few. the answer is NO!!!, UP and ONLY UP had these:thumb:. **OK, anyone that follows this thread knows ALL my engines ARE DCC with sound equipped:thumb::D, THINK ABOUT THIS; weather you buy a Tower55 with sound, or a cheapo Bachmann and put a GOOD QUALITY sound decoder in it, add on the extras like sun shields, MU hoses, airlines, antennas, ac units, beacons, decals, paint, etc., the end cost of the engine on average is going to be about $255.00. i have sat here, looked at ALL my engines, not just the UP's, but my CNW, Milwaukee Road, and FM collections, some are higher, some lower, but the average end cost is about $255.00 . **KNOWING THAT, if you think an extra stinking $5.00, thats right, $5.00 dog gone stinking dollars, is going to stop me from modeling the road i love, YOU COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!;) **AM i rich? HA! I WISH!!:D for cripes sakes folks, i am just an auto/semi/motor-home painter(for 22yrs), i am as blue collar as you can get, but I'll be darned if i am going to stop modeling UP over $5.00 stinking dollars. i am sorry folks, but to me making such a big deal over $5.00 is just slap crazy, heck i waste more then that a day on the vending machines at work;). announce1 **OK, THATS IT, I HAVE SAID ALL I AM GOING TO ON THIS MATTER:D.

cnw1961 said:
BTW, I really enjoy your thread. Besides the topics, it’s very interesting to see, how you keep it going for such a long time without ever getting lame :wave: .
Kurt, i AM GLAD you enjoy this thread!!:thumb::D to be honest with you, i don't have a clue as to why this thread has gone on this long:confused:. just look at other threads and its easy to find FAR BETTER modelers on this forum then i. i just post pics i like, talk about the places i go to and give my views/thoughts on topics that mean something to me:thumb:. at present, this thread has 231 replies, and 6,787 views, i guess others like some of the same things i do:thumb::D. though i hope after reading the upper part of this post, i haven't lost anyone:eek:ops:. ANYWAYS, i REALLY enjoy doing this thread, and find the people here at the Gauge, AND the Gauge itself to be TO NOTCH!:thumb: :thumb: :D THANKS AGAIN Kurt!:thumb:, and till next time...stay on track!:D -Deano View attachment 28188

Attachments

• up team.JPG
    up team.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 94

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
It's my empire...I'll pay for what I want...and I want some UP diesels and any other RR or fallen flag that interests me. Of course, I have a problem with having too many diesels for the amount of track on the layout...but that's a whole 'nother issue.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Herc Driver said:
It's my empire...I'll pay for what I want...and I want some UP diesels and any other RR or fallen flag that interests me. Of course, I have a problem with having too many diesels for the amount of track on the layout...but that's a whole 'nother issue.
Herc:wave:, WELL PUT!!:thumb::D and don't worry about how many engines you have as opposed to the layout space you have now;). cripes, just my UP engine collection alone now is at 34!!:thumb: and i have pre-ordered 2 more engines that are due in at the end of this month, an Athearn Big Boy, and an Athearn MP15dc BOTH DCC with sound(of course:D). that will bring my UP engine total up to 36, and the layout i have now is only 8'x30''!!:eek: and,...if you think i'm not going to get Tower55's UP SD70ace or BLI's UP AC6000(both due in Oct.), your nuts!:D...sure you and i don't have the space we want now, but look to the future;). i have had big layouts before, and even though my son and i are living in a small 2 bedroom apartment now, don't think i am going to stay here forever! as i am sure someday you will, I WILL SOMEDAY HAVE A BIG LAYOUT AGAIN!!:thumb::D. THANKS again for your input Herc!:thumb::D -Deano

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
You know, come to think of it, it IS a silly thing to worry about! :D Thanks dean, for turning my point of view! :) Plus I realized that most stores don't even increase to price for this change. YOu do have alot of good points, and that is what I'll go from noew on about this topic, I like UP/SP/WP/CNW/RioGrande, and nothing would probably change that, not even the price change. :) Thanks dean.

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
Doesnt CSX license things too? Heck I buy both the UP & CSX plus CNW, BNSF, NS, CR, SP, Rio Grande and Amtrak. I dont give a damn. I love trains. I love modeling. Ill pay whatever I want because its what i love to do. Plus its better than wasting it on illegal drugs like most 22 yr olds my age do.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
UP sucks, everyone intelligent knows that! :) Sorry, couldn't resist. I'd say it is definately the licensing issue, they were the first railroad, as far as I know, to start collecting fees, and to sue. Yes, they had a right to do so for all those previous years, as did the other railroads. They are hated for being the first, I guess. I was none to happy about it either, tho I never was concerned about the extra cash, and really could care less. It was concern about whether they (and others later) would allow certain models to be made at all, like UPS did for so long.

Anyway, back to the UP bashing, just for sport, mind you. Everyone thinks UP was first with the turbines, but in fact they bought their first one from the JGL, who had it built then decided they were too expensive to maintain and run. As evidence, here is a photo of JGL # 64, when UP bought it they only had to reletter it!

Attachments

• P1010620ajpg..jpg
    P1010620ajpg..jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 86
Status
Not open for further replies.