layout progress & engine pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UP SD40-2

wickman said:
Thats a really nice steamer can you tell me the minimum radius requirements for it ?:wave:
cnw1961 & wickman, THANKS!:D **wickman, they say the minimum radius for that Challenger is 18r, the tightest i have ran it on is 22r. at 22r it runs GREAT!!:D, but isnt real pretty looking around corners:(. it looks best from 24r and up:thumb::D.

Herc Driver

Quick question...do you ever have any problems with the small grass scenery getting into the wheel set gearing? I noticed it was between the rails - which looks great! - but wondered if this was problematic? I'd like to do the same thing in Nscale...but worry I don't have the clearance to make it worth while.

UP SD40-2

Herc Driver said:
Quick question...do you ever have any problems with the small grass scenery getting into the wheel set gearing? I noticed it was between the rails - which looks great! - but wondered if this was problematic? I'd like to do the same thing in Nscale...but worry I don't have the clearance to make it worth while.
THANKS! Herc Driver:D. to answer your question, NO, i don't have ANY problems with the grass in between the rails:thumb:. ALTHOUGH, i am doing HO scale now:D. i used to be into N scale, and to be honest with you i WOULD NOT recommend doing it on an N layout. everything is smaller and alot lighter, i tried it in N and had nothing but problems:(. i have seen it done in N though, but no luck for me when i tried it. heres a shot off my layout when i was into N:D. View attachment 28039

Attachments

• my N layout.JPG
    my N layout.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 127

UP SD40-2

New Challenger Came TODAY!!!

YES!!:D, my new challenger came TODAY!:thumb::D now i have 2 of those "mighty monsters of the Wasatch":D i have to change the numbers on the new one. this challenger makes #34 on my UP engines roster!:D i have a new Athearn Big Boy due in at the end of the month also:thumb:. that will be the SECOND Big Boy i have(i have an old Rivarossi Big Boy now, see page 11). counting my Rivarossi F-E-F Northern(see page one of this thread),that will give me a total of 5 UP steamers!, and will COMPLETE my UP steam collection:D. View attachment 28040 View attachment 28041 View attachment 28042 View attachment 28043

Attachments

• 2challengers.JPG
    2challengers.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 2challengers1.JPG
    2challengers1.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 123
  • 2challengers2.JPG
    2challengers2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 2challengers3.JPG
    2challengers3.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 121

UP SD40-2

More GREAT News!!!

i am going to the IRM in Union ILL. on Saturday!:thumb::D i LOVE that place!:D check in Sat. night for pics of some of the AWESOME engines and stuff they have there!:thumb: till then...stay on track!:D -Deano

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Always fun to check back on this thread and see the latest great pics! Wow! Those Challengers are beauts!!! Thanks too for the description of your operations sytem. I believe it may prompt others to give ops a try. You might find some interesting things in the Model railroad operations sub forum if you haven't seen any of those threads yet. By the way, its obvious that you are very talented in more than one scale! Nice N scale layout!
Ralph

UP SD40-2

wickman said:
:wave: Nice engines for sure I bet there pretty demanding on the min. Radius
THANKS! wickman:D. Athearn says they will run on 18r curves. i run them on the layout i am helping my dad build at his house, they are just to big for my switching layout. the tightest curves we have on his layout are 22r, they run GREAT on them:D, but don't look to pretty on 22r curves:(, however on the 24r and up, they look GREAT!!:thumb::D. -Deano

UP SD40-2

Ralph said:
Always fun to check back on this thread and see the latest great pics! Wow! Those Challengers are beauts!!! Thanks too for the description of your operations sytem. I believe it may prompt others to give ops a try. You might find some interesting things in the Model railroad operations sub forum if you haven't seen any of those threads yet. By the way, its obvious that you are very talented in more than one scale! Nice N scale layout!
Ralph
Ralph:wave:, YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY!!:thumb:, not just for the GREAT complements(THANK YOU!), but because YOU READ MY OPERATIONS POST!!!:thumb: cripes, i wrote that and thought NOBODY read it:(. **AGAIN, THANKS Ralph!!!:thumb::D

UP SD40-2

Great Day At Irm!!!

MilesWestern said:
:cool: I wish I could go to the IRM...but 2500 miles seem to seperate me from it! :rolleyes: Sigh!
Miles, sure wish you could have made it, was TRULY AWESOME!!!:thumb::D **WOW!, what a GREAT DAY AT IRM!!!:D i tell you guys what, i took 130 pics today! unfortunately i am only going to post 10:(,...AWESOME PICS!:D it was diesel days weekend at IRM, so i was in heaven:thumb:. seen ALOT of engines that was in the "fix it line" for YEARS, and today, some are not only running, but some have new paint too!!:thumb: MANY highlights for me today:D, the DD40 was almost fully operational!, the UP turbine had new paint on all but one side!, the "O" scalers had their modular there and running!, i seen WORKING wig wags, just like the ones i grew up with here in Beloit when i was a kid(ahh, the memories...), seen some of my fav ALCO'S, FM'S, EMD'S and Baldwins RUNNING!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: keep in mind, some are NOT painted yet, but are RUNNING GREAT!!, TONS OF STEAMERS!, AWESOME old railcars:thumb::D, i could go on and on...but i will spare you guys and just cut through the chase:D...here are 10 pics from today!!:thumb::D -Deano View attachment 28059 View attachment 28060 View attachment 28061 View attachment 28062 View attachment 28063

Attachments

• 1630.JPG
    1630.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 137
  • alco.JPG
    alco.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 138
  • ALCO 1.JPG
    ALCO 1.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 134
  • big blow.JPG
    big blow.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 133
  • FM H10-44.JPG
    FM H10-44.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 135

doctorwayne

Some nice stuff there, Dean, thanks for sharing those excellent photos. I would just like to point out that Bachmann has tenders available separately to go with that Russian Decapod in the first shot.:D :D

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Nice pics! Why don't you post some of them in the trainspotter id section under the appropriate prototype threads, and start some new threads for those prototypes that haven't got threads, yet.

NSES44DC

Your photos never cease to amaze me. Seriously, between your real life and home model you have a great talent and ability of bringing to a surreal standpoint! Great Job Dean. Always looking forward to your photos!

UP SD40-2

Wayne:wave:, THANK YOU! for the complements:D. that Russian does look kinda "naked" without the tendersign1. actually, that engine is the ONLY running steam the IRM has, though it has been down for about 2-3yrs now:(. i hope they get it running for next year:thumb:. **Miles:wave:, that engine could be the proto for Bachmanns, but i seriously doubt it;). **Russ:wave:, THANK YOU!:D sorry Russ, i keep meaning to post some of my engine knowledge and proto pics in that section of the forum, but just haven't gotten to it yet:eek:ops:, i will try to have some up by this weekend:thumb:. **NSES44DC:wave:, WOW!, THANK YOU!:D, you are VERY kind, thanks man:D. its the kind words YOU, and the other guys in this post, AND those that follow this thread say, that keeps this thread alive:thumb:, again, thank you!:D **OK, here is a pic of an old engine i visited this last weekend at IRM, it has kinda become an old friend of mine;). the engine is an Alco RSD15, the last owner was GBW. i have been in the cab of this engine, though its no longer open to the public. i make it a point to spend about 20mins with this engine EVERY TIME i go to the IRM:thumb:. i am truly fascinated with this engine, and am lucky enough to have a BLI model of it:thumb:...here it is, GBW #2407:D -Deano View attachment 28112 View attachment 28113

Attachments

• GBW2407.JPG
    GBW2407.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 112
  • GBWRSD15.JPG
    GBWRSD15.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 111
Status
Not open for further replies.