Layout Photo

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by Roger Hensley, May 23, 2008.

1. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Just thought I'd post a photo of my layout as nothing else seems to be happening. :).

2. csxnscale

csxnscale Member

I nice looking layout I would say, looks well ballasted and track has a realistic color.
    The road overpasses look very nice.
    Thanks for the pic.

3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Looks good, Roger, with a nice "small-town" feel to it.

4. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Thanks for posting the picture Roger.
    Very nice detailing. It remembers me 2 ( of the best ) years of my life during the early 70's in Kentucky. Nice small town atmosphere.
    Adding an engine and some rolling stock wouldn't hurt .

Did you paint the clouds yourself or is it a photographic background ?

5. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

I painted the clouds myself. There are no trains because I wanted to show off the town. Here is another shot of the scene with motive power. Neither shot is up to date as things have been change slightly.

6. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Thanks for taking some of your valuable time to reply Roger.
    You painted the clouds yourself. Excellent. did you use a stencil ? was it made with an airbrush or using a wash ?

Like it or not, you have been hired by "The Gauge" to make a "HowTo" tutorial about clouds painting. :)

It looks even better with some engine running

7. jesso

jesso Member

Looks really great. Your town is really nice and I like how it feels like a town instead of some buildings inbetween tracks
  8. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

the feel

Scott, you have really hit it on the head. I couldn't figure what to say until you used the word FEEL. I FEEL like I could get out of my car and walk those streets. It truly has that small town look and feel.

Great work, clouds, and pictures.

9. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Roger....Don't use pictures of that layout as "filler" for the slow moments....Put it up in "prime time"...Looks great...Wish I had the "bent" for towns....
  10. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Cool looking layout Roger!!! Id love to see some more pics :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  11. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Thanks for sharing those great pics, Roger.

They inspire me to build something! :thumb:

12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

If I look at that shot with the engine in it, I swear I can hear the bees humming and the crickets chirping...and feel the sultry summer afternoon.

Time to pop into the Triangle Cafe for some iced tea!

Beautiful job! :thumb:
  13. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Thanks. This means a lot!
  14. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

Looks like a great layout -- lots of detail and well done.

I believe this is an HO layout? Also, what is the layout's size? My layout is 4x6 and, although it's 90% finished, I keep adding lots of detail to it. In many sections, it appears a little basic and could do with more elements added.

15. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Yes it is HO and I've been at it since 1980 when it was just a 4x7 layout. Since then, it has undergone a whole lot of changes. :)

16. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

From your photos it looks like a smallish layout...But that's a biggie..!!! Is it "finished" or is there more to be added..??

Let's see so'more of the other areas..!!!
  17. RobertInOntario

RobertInOntario Active Member

Wow -- that is impressive and quite an "evolution" of a layout. Mine is 4x6 so maybe it will morph into something bigger in the years to come! It looks like you've added sections or modules onto it -- I think that's something I could do to mine. Cheers, Rob
  18. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

Well, it was nearly finished until I had to pull the city to get at track under it. I have the track repaired and now am starting to get the city back in shape.
    Oh, well.

Here is a shot of the new oil distributor area.

19. Roger Hensley

Roger Hensley Member

And a shot of part of the city. Part of this scene has been torn down and is now being rebuilt.

20. jesso

jesso Member

Really like your layout. Can't wait to see more!