Layout must have's

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Casey thanks for the link, I've book marked it and will go back to it when I have more time. I have just visited your website, it is beautifully done and beautifully laid out. Your layout is fabulous, really loved the little tool caboose! Think you could be so kind is to share some pictures of your work with the other members in the photo forum? :cool:

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I Don't Do It No More

I sorta take what I read from the MR editors on trains.com say with a grain of salt. Especially after one of them got on the forum and took credit for an article I wrote and MR paid me for.:rolleyes:

No big deal though...I don't post there anymore anyway....Thier loss!:p

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
I've never been known to quickly defend editors of the major MRR mags, but I have to say it's likely true they did get negative feedback from the past Sellios articles. (And we all know that a MAJOR magazine feels it mustn't LEAD, it must FOLLOW it's perception of what the MARKET wants, lest an advertiser or two get miffed.)

There seems to be constant whining about the magazines featuring "big layouts of rich guys". So many model railroaders seem to think that anyone who builds something larger than 4x8 is a Mr. Gotrocks, and shouldn't be credited. I've not the impression that George Sellios plays golf with Bill Gates, and although he did have the luxury of time, John Allen was by no means wealthy.

I will never build anything nearly so fine, as the Franklin and South Manchester, the Gorre and Daphetid, the Badger Creek, or the several other landmark model railroads, but I respect and honor the fine modelers who have done, and (as already stated in this thread) I take their work as inspiration, as something that should be shown, as examples of the mountain top we all should TRY to reach --- no matter our limitations. If I only get part way up the mountain, it isn't failure. It's a fun trip worth the effort.

Bill S. (hopping down off his soap box)

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
If the Mags printed articles about shmoes like me, who take a year to lay the track on their 2 1/2 by 5' layout and still havent started landscaping event hough they've been ready to for about a month, who would read it?

I don't want to see some slow witted fumble fingered wanna-be's half-hearted attempts, I want to see a master-craftsman with oodles of time and money comming out of the wazoo who will give me good ideas and show me the acme of my hobby. I want to see people at the top so I know where to aim.

Besides, there are many articles and an annual contest for small space modleing. The whiners are those who need an excuse.

"Oh, I can't do that, because My widgets are from Canada instead of Austrailia."

"Oh, My time is limited so I can never build a three-car garage full of trains."

"Oh, I'm a lazy twit who just doesn't have the self discipline or inteligence to: a) plan something appropriate to my time and budget, b) actually get off my lazy whining ass and do something."

-----

Or am I being a little bit too harsh?

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Agreed. The sports magazines don't do feature articles on the 10th man in the Mariners' bullpen, or the Rangers' fourth line centre. Nope, it's the best of the best that get the attention, cause that's what readers are interested in.