Layout Mod

msh

Here's what I've come up with. It's basically the same layout I've already built (and am about to destroy), only a bit larger thanks to my increasing from 4x8 to 5x9 and going with a foam top.

While I like it just fine, it's just not blowing me away. I know I'm limited because of my table size, but I have no imagination and the really COOL layouts I can copy won't fit here. So, I could use opinions.

Attachments

• msh-plan1.gif
    msh-plan1.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 259

rockislandmike

Well, what would you like to see ??? What are you interested in ??? More operations ???

The one thing I think I would do is add a major industry in the lower right hand corner. Plenty of room for a sizeable industry, probably with upwards of 5-6 car capacity.

shamus

Registered Member
Hi msh,
Why not do something on these lines, this plan is a cut down version of Badger Creek. It's 9' long and 5' wide, just about right.

It has four levels and is really a logging layout but could be used for a mining layout.
Shamus
wink.gif

Attachments

• 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 249

marty w.

I agree with Mike on adding some spurs. Also maybe change the locations of the turnouts for future expansion, this will allow you to use them as an additional industry or interchange track.
Marty

Attachments

• msh-plan1.jpg
    msh-plan1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 239

Tyson Rayles

I would suggest getting rid of the roundhouse and turntable on a layout this small as they consume about 20% of the total layout!

msh

Thank you all.

Thus far it has been suggested, and I've added, one spur from the bottom turnouts to up and beside the lower right mountain for a mining outfit. That is a big improvement already.

BUT

Shamus, I am still interrested in that layout you've proposed, but I would sure need some more details. You mention 4 levels! I'm clueless as to where they would be!?! It appears to have a lot to offer.

I'll admit I'm not into logging and had plans on freight and (now) a bit of mining. Trains running freely around the layout is key, and the switching in industry or other spur areas is of interest.

Tyson - If I stick with the first plan I'll be keeping the turntable and engine house - I've just always wanted one and I don't have anything else to put there - not to mention it's a great place to park the DCC locos waiting to run. I will also be adding a few buildings and homes in the open area in the center.

Thanks again Gang. This isn't over yet.

TR-Flyer

Hi MHS:
Using Marty W.’s last post as a base, try these ideas out and see how they work. In the lower left corner, continue the outer loop curve through another 45-degrees and cross it over the inner track following Marty’s two-track siding. Reduce the elevation as you go and connect it to the track under your upper right mountain. Of course, this means you also would not do the two track siding in this location. Move your mountain in the lower right corner to the NW to support this realigned track. Connect this mountain to the one in the lower left and the one in the upper right creating a “range” with a three sided valley for the yard. Now you have a rugged backdrop for your yard operations and a flat area in the lower right corner for your houses, village, etc. You could also put an industry there so you can do some point to point operations until you get the expansions completed.

Running some track through the center gets you out of the “all my main lines are parallel to an edge” syndrome. Also, splitting the layout diagonally with something that has height will allow you to visually “isolate” one area from the other creating a feeling of distance between the two areas. I think it is ITBGF who is creating a divider on her layout to accomplish just such a transition and another member is creating a module for use at train shows with a vertical partition down the middle, so they can have completely separate scenes on each side.

Regards,
Ted

msh

Hey Ho TRFlyer,

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing what you mean. Any way you can make me a picture of some kind? That way, if it works for me, I can make mods to my design. Of course if you're using 3rd Planit I can send the original to you. Either way, a picture is worth 1000 words.

TR-Flyer

MSH:
I don't have any quick drawing tools for this kind of thing. I do all my layout work in AutoCad and all my track and turnouts are set up to "S" guage. I'll see what i can do over the next couple of days. Monday morning comes too soon to start on it tonight.

Regards,
Ted

well as for the layout what scale is it going to be in 9x5 in ho scale you can do a good switching layout but if you go to n scale you open up alot of planing in that space from some one who has done both a ho layout that was 12x20 and now i have a nscale that is about 18x25 with a new add on about that would be 6x10 i found a book called 101 track plans and when it comes to a layout it is your world and you put in it what you want but when it comes to space it is hard to do all what you want not picking on all you ho scalers out their but when you are short on space i would go with n scale and if you have the room go with ho scale but do alot of thinking frist on the scale. what you would want and then on the space

msh

scoob, we're running HO here. I'm embarrassed - thought I included that - argh.

Thanks for the advice, but N won't work - it's just too small for my hands and eyes. More to the point and as I said, I'm only redoing the layout, not rescaling, nor am I about to can all my equipment, buildings and accessories.