Layout Expansion

Do you use all the room available for your RR Empire

• Yes. Duckunder, into closets, under the stairs & through walls. Staging into furnace & laundry room.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat. Around the walls & Peninsula with Staging. Might include a Duckunder. Fiddle Yard in the f

• Not quite. Around the walls & peninsula with staging. I use 70-80% of the space available

• No. Around the walls with one Peninsula. No Staging. I use 60-70% of the space available

• Not at all. Limited space available. I use 50% or less, of the space available

• Total voters

CN1

May 6, 2003
Do you use all the room available for you layout? :confused:

I started construction on my layout expansion, but to my surprise I 'm not using all the space available to me (9 feet by 7 feet). I'm roughly using 8 X 5 feet.

Have you done the same?

The full layout covers an area 25 feet wide by 13 feet deep

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I cannot attach anything to the walls in my train "room" as it is a cellar with stone walls. I have to have something freestanding. I do plan to add modules to the edges of my 4x8 though. That way, there is still a chance of getting them out of the basement... ;)

So I guess I do use the available space, it's just that nothing gets attached to the walls...

Andrew

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
When the only space is 81" X 75", you better use every square inch you have.... I sure am.
It's tough only having open access on one side, so I have to use a removeable pop-up.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I used every available inch. My 8'x11' "L" shaped benchwork normally sets in a corner against two walls in my basement. I put the entire thing on adjustable rolling casters so I can move it out to get behind it on the two far sides to work on it.
Doc

CN1

May 6, 2003
Hey Doc I did the same too! I can "disconnect" my layout in 2 piece

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Yeah, I WANTED to do that, but my little layout is "land-locked" on the back, both sides, and
half of the front (on the left side) leaving me only 42" open to the left front side.... but what the heck, nobody said "Railroading would be easy..."

HIGH GREENS and CLEAR TRACKS, guys....

CN1

May 6, 2003
Iron Goat at least you have a layout. :thumb:

Some people I know don't have much :( ( 14"inches wide by 4' feet long)

F

Fred_M

Since mine is a modular HO layout it isn't efficent using space, but it can be moved for public display, rearranged, and most import, since I rent the building it's in I can always move it should I loose my lease. We all have to make compromises. It really fits none of your selections. FRED

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
My layout touches one corner of the 12x11ft RR room and extends like a broad tongue diagonally into the room. Along the 'free' walls I have bookshelves (housing also my model racing car collection), a work table and a storage cupboard. Free space for walking aoround the layout is about 2-3 ft - so the layout pretty much fills the room.

But due to its conception it doesn't fit into one of the given choices in the poll. :D :D :D

Ron

Attachments

• Birdview.jpg
    Birdview.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 119

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have a 16ft square room, with a shelf that averages 2 ft wide. that's 112 sq ft out of 256. There is a lot of sitting room for meeting and such.
My previous layout was pretty full 10x13 oval with peninsula and a tight aisle through it.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have just got the book shelves installed that will be the base for the benchwork. I'm using the Ikea Ivar unfinished pine modular bookshelf system. My shelves are all 48 inches high. When I build my benchwork, I'm shooting for about a 5 foot height. It will be a 7' x 9' L shaped switching layout modeling the L. A. Junction Railway with the new Athearn CF7 for motive power.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
To SD90:

Mike, this is a 3d-View made with the 3rd PlanIt track planning program.
You can see more of it at my website.

A great program - you can even do a cab ride over your layout! :thumb:

Ron

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
After trying it both ways, I prefer keeping the layout small...
It keeps the family happier, but more importantly, it keeps ME happier! :D
Since I pretty much operate on my own here, I need a layout to be something that I can build, operate, & maintain within the space of one lifetime...
Also, I like to be able to tear down, & move on, with out shedding too many tears over it.
Right now, I have two small N scale layouts...one of themk will be torn down in the near future, & the other, on completion, will find a good home elsewhere...then I'll be able to move on to something new!