Layout Disassembly

Bob Collins

It now appears that I am going to be moving within the next 12 months and need some guidance on disassembly of my layout in a way to cause the least damage.

Specifically, where I am going to separate the layout (10' X 22') into various parts, how would any of you recommend severing the track? Some places where I woukld take it apart the are curves and to try to cut it would mean cutting on the bias and I wonder if that is going to cause me some grief when I go to putting it back together> I had also thought about actually sawing a 6" piece out where I need to break the track apart and that would allow me to have straight cuts.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprediated.

Many thanks

Bob

fifer

Bob , you are on the right track . Just cut the track as needed with a dremel tool and the same with scenery. when you re-assemble make the straight cuts and replace the section or whole section. Also be sure to tag all your wiring and for moving try setting the pieces with the scenery towards each other and screw to 2X4 stringers if you can.
Mike

:cry: :eek:ops: :cool: :rolleyes: :thumb:

cidchase

Hi Bob,
Cutting the track is a cinch with a rotary tool (Dremel, etc.) and a cutoff wheel.
The hard part is putting the curve back together. If you can avoid cutting a piece
of curved flex track, I would. When you cut the rails, the ends will try to
straighten out. Sectional curves, however, should not present a problem
when re-joining.

To re-join the curved flex track, if you must, I would use a rail joiner and solder
the track back together, with some pressure applied to the outside of the joint
to force the rails back into alignment. Check the gauge and rail alignment
carefully. You can always re-melt and re-freeze the joint if it needs adjustment.

Maybe a little creative offsetting or zigzagging of your cutting line would let you
cut the top only where the rails are straight. Someone else probably has more
ideas on this. :) :) :)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Bob, I moved a layout 2000 miles and did what you are suggesting in taking out around 6 inch sections where I had to cut through. When it all came back together, it was relatively easy to rejoin the track and once sceniced an ballasted you would never know it had been apart

Bob Collins

Thanks to each of you for the suggestions. One of the benefits I have of moving it now is that I have never gotten started on any work on scenery so I really only have the "bare" roadwork to deal with at this point.

Wiring is a consideration, but with DCC that is a pretty simple fix. At this point we still have no idea where we are going to be living, so I will wait until we have a better idea about that before I get into chopping things up. One thing I hope I can accomplish with this move is to make the layout over from a free standing in the middle of the room sort of thing to one I can get up against the wall so I can use the wall for backdrop. We'll see.

We're moving to Council Bluffs, Iowa where I will certainly be able to do all the railfanning I want. Noticed when I was up there a couple of weeks ago that the UPRR has a number of their excursion passenger cars lined up near the old CNW shops. As I said, it should be fun as it means I am going back to where I grew up and that is special for me. :) :)

Again, many thanks. Am glad to know that the experts think I'm on the right "track" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bob

Bob Collins

Update

Just an update for those of you on this thread.

We have purchased a home and it has about 400 sq feet of basement space that is all mine for railroading. That doesn't really sound like lots of space, but it is plenty for what I'll be wanting to do. Hopefully this time I'll get it right. There is one bare 60 watt bulb down there now, so I have the opportunity to really "start from scratch" with ceiling, lighting, backdrops, the whole drill :D which I look forward to learning how to do :cool: :cool: The basement is DRY and I have a dehumidifier too, so moisture should not be a problem. I saw no evidence of any problems when I looked at it last week.

As many boxes of MRR goodies as I have packed up this past week I think I must surely have "The Box" in there somewhere :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

A side note. When I drove up along the old CNW shops in north Council Bluffs there were at least a dozen UPRR excursion cars in and out of the shops along with several that were just primed and a couple of pieces of freight rolling stock in prime shape. I imagine I'll have to drive by there from time to time to see what is sitting around.

Parallel to the CNW tracks is the old IC yard. The last couple of times I've been by there I see a GT switcher sitting there. Is the IC now working with one of the Canadian railroads or am I dreaming I saw something about that somewhere?

Peace

Bob

jon-monon

400 sq ft is quite a bit, Bob, if it's arranged nicely. Is that oblong or about square? I'll bet you're getting excited! I would!

Bob Collins

Jon;

It is slightly rectangular, but I don't have the exact measurements. Have to take into consideration a furnace that sits in one corner too. I think it offers some interesting possibilities now that I have found a place to get started again!!

Will keep all of you posted.

Bob