layout "contest"

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Punny is funny right now, thanks for the lift! It has been a wild and crazy week so I've not pulled out the planning supplies. I have been looking back through the Iain Rice planning books I've got...one for selfish reasons, there's a great plan in the Mid-sized and Managable book that would be great in some of the 'standard' garages we've been looking at as we house hunt and two, it always seems to get the sketching/planning juices flowing.

Mebbe over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend...we'll see.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Galen, are you going to buy a house? Do they have basements in your part of Washington State, or are you going to have to put the layout in the garage? Maybe you ought to look for a house with one or two more bedrooms than you need and claim one for a layout room!

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Carl, if you pay close attention to many of the jumbo layouts in model railroader, you'll find that in some cases, less than half of their layout actually exists! There was one magnificent 60'x40' layout, but only around a third of it existed anywhere but on paper (of course MR didn't really come out and tell you that). That can be you! You design it for the future, and start on that today.
So I affirm what Galen has said (and Galen, good luck with getting a nice right-or-way)

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I don't want to hijack the thread, but yes, Russ, we will be looking for a house. We were looking at big box cookie cutter houses in a new development (not seriously, just for funsies) and I tell you, I'd be happy using one of the walk-in closets in those huge homes.

Most likely I'll be relegated to the garage or basement. One place had a detached garage and my wife's suggestion was to build a second story on the garage (if possible) and make that a guest apartment/train room with the workbench and shop downstairs. Basements can be soggy in this wet country...although today it is sunny and clear...go figure.

And nkp174, you're exactly right. How many monster layouts actually get finished? How many mid-sized layouts even get beyond the plywood stage? This is why I started small with a switching layout, with the planned layout for the current garage a 4'x6'. Managable, even if compromises must be made. Better a small, complete layout than a large, unmanagable and unfinished pile of lumber with track on it.