Laying foam

Apparently from what I've read, there are regional differences. It also comes in a variety of thicknesses -- I've seen 3/4-in to 2-in. Also, last time I went to the local "home improvement" store, the only foam sheets I could find has already been scored on 16-in centers. This, I suppose, makes it easier for those who install the stuff on houses and such, but it really weakens the board for us train nuts. I have got around this by buying thinner sheets and laminating them together at 90-degree angles and offset, so that the scored places are supported by intact foam in the adjacent layer.

That said, I am still a BIG believer in the foam. This stuff is great to work with.

Oh - another source: Keep an eye out for houses that are under construction or getting an exterior refit. The insulation crew usually has tons of cut-offs that they are more than happy to be rid of (ask first!). Although it is not good for a base since it is cut up, it is good for building mountains and general filling in.

Dashdriver said:
Where does one get the pink/blue foam to lay down before the track is layed?

Hey Dashdriver,

Wasn't there a Home Depot near JFK? I think they have those foam sheets in 4x8.

Further into Queens, I've been to the Home Depot on Metropolitan Ave. and Woodhaven Blvd. and they definitely have it there.

Hope this helps!

Dashdriver

LongIslandTom said:
Hey Dashdriver,

Wasn't there a Home Depot near JFK? I think they have those foam sheets in 4x8.

Further into Queens, I've been to the Home Depot on Metropolitan Ave. and Woodhaven Blvd. and they definitely have it there.

Hope this helps!

The closest one is in Springfield Gardens but the problem is I live in Chicago so I'll be going to the one here. :thumb: