Latest Project

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
This car (semi-car?) looks impressive, Dick. Beautiful workmanship.

But - what is it?

Let me guess: Something to carry heavy loads... Could it be 50% of a Schnabel car?

Ron

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
:D Guess it isn't good/complete enough to be recognizablee yet!!!

It's the "A" end of a 20 axle Schnabel car. If this part turns out satisfactory, I'll do the "B" end. Lots more detailing to be done. Loads were, typically, suspended between the two ends and transported over the rails. See my posting under "general" for a link to a Schnabel site. They're very interesting and unusual looking cars.

And, Ron.... you had it absolutely correct! ;)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Educate me please Dick, is a Scnabel car the multi-axled wagon for VERY heavy loads or is that "load" part of the wagon???

For a minute I suspected it was something to do with "gauging" or balasting .... (I have simple thought trains :) )

Errol

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Errol,

the Schnabel is used to transport very heavy and large loads. Typically, a large transformer, etc. would be suspended between the two ends. When I have this "A" end finished, I will make an identical "B" end for it.

Dick

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi, I love the "Schnabel" looks really great, now I need to see the other half :D

Shamus
wink.gif

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
One more major section to go plus details. Another pair of six wheel trucks are coming to replace the two outboard trucks which are the wrong type.

Dick

Attachments

• schn28.jpg
    schn28.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 278

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
You're really getting along at an astonishing pace, Dick! And your model sure looks good! :)

I'm looking for the nexts pics. And most of all I wonder what the load of the Schnabel-car will be. :confused:
A GAUGE-box perhaps? :D :D :D

Ron

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
A few more details and it'll be finished. I have new Buckeye trucks coming to replace the two outboard trucks.

Dick

Attachments

• schn32.jpg
    schn32.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 131