Hiya Michael, coming along real well, I see you made good use of the Pink foam

Shamus
waver.gif

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Nice! I like the mountains and that curved bridge. You're making great use of raodways on your layout among the structures too. Wish I'd planned mine out as well. Lots of road crossings add interest. Very cool! Neat web site organization too, btw!
Ralph

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi msh...

Just a quick question... is the curved bridge a replacement for the matchstick trestle? And how did you make it?

Ok, that's two questions...

Thanks for sharing your work!

Andrew

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Thanks guys... appreciate the support on the layout and the site itself.

Tyson - still running HO

Mason - that bridge has replaced the match-stick trestle (thanks for remembering) for two reasons. 1. the trestle is nearly 3" tall - too tall for the grade, and 2. it wasn't compatable with my idea to run a street through that area. SO....

I snagged the two sides of the new bridge from my Son's el-cheapo LifeLike set we don't use any more. Since they were straight and the track curved, I had a dilemma. I solved it by drawing the shape of the curve on to a piece of 1/8" masonite and then cutting it out. Next I attached each side to the masonite using (of all things) staples and Elmer's. After everything dried I removed the excess staples and trimmed those that had to stay, sprayed it with a little flat brown paint, ran a sanding pad over it for fun and, voila! A curved bridge for about 17 cents. The abutment holding it up is a piece of foam sanded to shape and painted gray - probably needs more sanding.

here's a closer look....

Attachments

• bridge-right.jpg
    bridge-right.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 250

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Cool...

Thanks for the additional pictures. I have two (2!) places where I will require curved bridges - both on a grade too! Such are the limits of the 4x8 I guess.

I will have to check for "garage sale" bridges that I can slice up - have never seen anything as cheap as $0.17 though... ;)

Andrew

Edit: Speaking of foam and sanding and so on, you can get nichrome wire from the LHS. It is the same wire that is in the WoodLand $cenic$ foam cutter (and others). The wire itself only costs a few dollars, and can be powered by an old transformer. You can rig up a cutter with scrap wood or even a coat hanger and some telephone wire. Plug it in turn it on, and smooth cuts in foam result.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hi msh, love watchin your railroad unfold, and I love how you have it documented... very nicely done indeed! It's also good to know we can fax you cat in the train room if we have an urgent message for him. I'm sure he will move up to e-mail soon. :D :D :D

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Thanks again, Fellas.

NOW - here are a few questions posed vis the attached picture.
1) How can I get some fake water into my water tanks on the roof? It seems like it should be simple, but I'm not getting it.
2) What would you suggest I put in the large, open area behind the packing facility? Lots of room there and I would like a bit more than just an open, grassy area.

I will also add two more pics of the road progress - to follow this entry.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• questions.jpg
    questions.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 112