Latest ACT RR progress

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hey Mike,

I see you hail from Las Cruces. My RR is named "Las Cruces & Portales", named after your town!!! I drove by it a loooooonngg time ago and loved the name, hence my choice. I love the coloring on your mountains. I've tried to achieve that look, but have come out too much on the reddish side. What colors do you use, and how do you apply them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Keep up the good work!!:thumb:

Gus (LC&P).

SeriousSam

Nov 2, 2005
San Antonio
fifer said:
Here is what has been holding me back for some time. It is the hillside town homes on the south end of the ACTRR. The town and industries will be in the foreground of these pictures.
Some more detailing needs to be done but happy with the concept.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e338/mfifer/ACTRR/act%20progress/

Mike

Mike, is this the same layout you have on your hobby store layout? Oh yeah, Im Luis, the Ruidoso guy. Your loyal customer:D

Thanks Guys!
Gus , I use a very thinned mix of many colors over a plaster material made by a guy in Albuquerque called , Model Mount. It has several kinds of plasters in it and some vermiculite texture to it and dries a very light tan. I then use plain old Hobby Lobby acrylics.
I use a thinned mix of Americana brand Milk Chocolate , Honey Brown , Raw Sienna , and Burnt Sienna , and Accent Brand Tumbleweed , and Wicker over the light tan plaster.
Gus , I also love your RR name . We should have trackage ruights!
Hi Luis ! Yes it is the same layout. I look forward to you stopping by some day!

Mike

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Mike,

Been away some...I've got some of the colors right: Honey, Burnt S., and Raw S. I've got to try the others. How do you apply them??

The LC&P will give trackage rights to anyone that's got to get somewhere in the area...!!!

Gus (LC&P).

Gus , I apply them diluted with a lot of water and with a 2" cheap brush with a 3/4 " brush handy for tight spots and color variations. I put the paints on a butter dish lid ,dip the brush in the paint and then swish in the tub of water and on it goes. I do a section and get another color and do the same thing over some of that same area and repeat these steps until the correct color mix is achieved.
Hope that helps , Mike
Remember , lots of water( i sometimes spray the area with a water bottle first then paint)