Last Final Version????

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
N scale Last Final Version????

I did some rethinking and came up with a new plan. Then I remeasured the room and one wall shrank two feet :confused: :confused: so back to the drawing board. Here is my latest "final version". It is N scale and the grid is 6". It has two layers with helixes on either end leading to hidden staging on the bottom.

Upper layer
upper_w_grid.jpg

Lower layer
lower_grid.jpg

The shaded area indicates an excess of 24" from an edge. I tried to avoid putting any potential trouble spots in those areas and leave it mostly for scenery.
I haven't decided just what industries I will have, but it will most likely be light manufacturing etc The industrial area will be served by a local that will operate out of the main yard which will act as an interchange for either two major lines or one major line and one or two branches.
There will be aprox 8" of clearance between the two layers and the bottom will be no more than 12" deep so I shouldn't have too much trouble accessing them.
I would appreciate any comments or criticisim or pointing out any obvious mistakes I made. :eek:ops: :eek:ops:
ps: the helixes will be 2.75 stories, not 2.85. Caught the first mistake. :D :D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Yeah Clark. Isn't it awful when the house shrinks each winter.
Think about shifting the turnout in the blue track at the bottom out of the pink area. How big an access hole can you put in the bottom left corner?

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
Thanks for the reply 60103.
You are right about the switch. That won't be a problem. Re the access hole, it is pretty much a moot point considering my mobility challenges. Everything in those areas will have to be covered using a reach extender or a little extra stretch. needless to say I will be running a track cleaner car quite often.
I would really like to put a double crossover on the back parallel mainlines but I'm afraid that it would be more of a headach than it's worth. The other thing I am considering is using two seperate elevations on those tracks, just to give it a little more variety.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
One thing I noted is that the track that zig-zags through the industrial area amounts to a reverse loop--make sure you wire that part properly or you will get a short. Otherwise it looks like there is some serious operation potential!

dhutch

Nov 14, 2004
www.spurstow.com
Shame about your house, i started marking out my Yard, and after 20mins i found out the reason the plans didnt fit was becuase the baseboard had grow a foot!!

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
Visit site
jetrock said:
One thing I noted is that the track that zig-zags through the industrial area amounts to a reverse loop--make sure you wire that part properly or you will get a short. Otherwise it looks like there is some serious operation potential!

You are right jetrock, the wiring will be a little tricky. I have started giving some serious thought to DCC. Either way it would give two operators plenty to do, one classifying, breaking dwon and building up trains in the interchange yard and another running the local dropping off empties and picking up loaded cars; and that's besides running the lower level yard and operating the trains on the mainlines. Lots of possabilities. :D :D