Last Call For The Layout

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Geno

Geno Member

2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i sure would not give that much for any new lionel, new stuff wont hold its value, not saying its junk, just that theres more of it out there, people know better now not to throw it away, and to keep it in good shape

that 11.00 box car ended at 405.00. thats crazy!!! i wish ebay would still yet you see who bid on stuff, id contact the looser's and offer mine to them,

3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

You can still see who bid on them.
    Just click on the Bid History link where it shows how many bids were made.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

nope, ebay changed that yesterday, now it just says bidder 1, bidder 2, and so on.

5. Cannonball

The ones I'm watching still show the bidders.... :confused:
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i just checked a bunch, none are shown.
  7. Cannonball

Must be because the ones on my watch list were already in my computer's catche.
    I just checked a couple of new ones and they are all Bidder 1, 2 etc....
    I usually check to be sure I'm not bidding against someone I know.
    I guess it's every man for himself from now on. :D
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok, i found one that did, hey, go look at the bidders for that 4999.99 layout, it dont, and ebay gives a note telling about it.
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

As the internet evolves, eBay continues to strike a balance between preserving transparency and protecting our Community of members. eBay has decided to change how bid history information is displayed so bad guys cannot target bidders with fake offers using this information. In certain cases, some bidders will no longer be able to view Bidder User IDs on the Bid History page. Your User ID will be shown only to you and the seller of the item you're bidding on. Other members will see an anonymous name, such as Bidder 1, applied consistently to the Bid History page.
  10. Cannonball

Yeah, I saw that on the newer ones. Like I said though, it sucks when I try to check and be sure I'm not bidding against someone I know.
  11. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the layout is up to 5159.49. still not hit reserve
  12. Cannonball

Holy crap. That's just getting silly.
  13. Geno

Geno Member

You did the math already- obviously people bidding on this very basic layout are antique collectors, as you could put this together yourself for less than $400-500.

As far as the price goes, it's a function of market value- and apparently there are plenty of people willing to pay top dollar for some old layout.

I've found that when it comes to Lionel trains, there are collectors craving old postwar worse than a crack whore shaking from lack of rock cocaine- and they're willing to bankrupt themselves to get it.

14. Cannonball

Yeah, I know how it goes.
    The vintage guitar and bass market is the same way.
    People will pay upwards of $10,000 to $20,000 for an old, beat up Fender when they could have a new one for anywhere between $250 and $1,000, depending on what model it is. Of course, the more beat up the better. If it's been refinished or altered in any way to actually improve the instrument, it's value crashes through the floor.

The whole vintage game is just nuts.
    I'd rather have new and shiney myself. (With exeption to my Marx 666, of course. ;) )
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i will stick with the old stuff for the most part, no fun collecting something and anyone can go out and buy new, then ya got nothing to show off. the fun is finding them..

like when i was into baseball cards years ago, it was not fun looking at them, but it was fun finding them.

im the same way with bikes, you can give me a choice between a 2007 harley or triumph and one from the 50's or 60's, and ill take the one from the 50's/60's.

cars?.... same thing.
  16. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

My opinion

Personally, I would buy new trains- rather locos- since most of the older models are remade with better tooling, more to scale, more detail and probably digital ready. Second Hand wagons and coaches are still ok, lol. :thumb:

Since I work in a model train shop I see that for the price of a Second Hand Metal Mantua steam loco you could buy a new Mantua instead! Only difference is that it's plastic and DCC ready.

With every passing year it gets more difficult to sell S.H. items, sad thing is we have a lot of customers- customers families in certain cases- that think they will get a high price for their collections, but the don't realise that more modern trains lose value. Most of the stuff they buy don't have boxes or have been touched up- or they bring scarp like Joef, Lima, etc...

We have to laugh though when they try to sell us Lima SAR items @ R250 ($35) a coach- we sell them between R60 and R150 ($8 and $21)- and it's not even something like Fleischmann, Roco or Kato.
  17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

im not in it to make $$$. but id like to atleast get 1/2 or 3/4's of my $$$ back, the new lionel i wont, i like the looks, and the sounds of the OLD stuff, metal stuff, the train i like to run the most is an old pre war marx train thats not worth more then maybe 20 or 30 bucks on ebay . but there all tin, and they rattle/bang down the track!

18. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

The reason being there aren't many genuine postwar display layouts left. I hadn't realized that was what we were seeing here. There are hundreds of thousands of postwar trains out there, but not many of the display layouts from the period survive (and not that many were made in the first place). There's a company that makes reproductions of prewar display layouts--Toy Trains Unlimited might be its name--and they charge about $5,000 for a 4x8 layout. And we're not even talking anything vintage! They stay in business, probably catering to the wealthiest 2% of the market.

There are plenty of multimillionaires who collect Lionel. The issues of Classic Toy Trains from the early 1990s prove it. You don't see them as much anymore because I think the average reader got tired of those types of articles, they made you wonder just who these people were and how they made their money. These are the people who aren't going to settle for having every Lionel 6464 boxcar, because anyone can collect all of those given enough time. These people go after the stuff that might be one of a kinds. And that's when the prices go through the roof.

The one good thing is, though, you know if someone pays that kind of money for it, it's going to be preserved. So that's good.
  19. Cannonball

I'll agree with you on cars and motorcylces. But those can be fixed up and painted without killing their value.
  20. Geno

Geno Member

I personally prefer new to old (with the exception of old muscle cars), and the notion that new things have little value is not entirely true.

A perfect case in point is the scale line of diesels and rolling stock Lionel has been releasing since 1998. You would think you could pick these up for 56-60% of MSRP, but that is not the case. In the secondary market (internet, auctions, train shows) these units for at least 70-80% of MSRP, more if they are limited release or hard to find items.

A few years ago you could find alot of deals on these items- like a 3-car Cibro GATX tank train set plus the add-on car for $120, a K-Line Alaska GP-38 for $140, or a BNSF Dash-9 w/ TMCC (scale version) for $170. You'll be hard pressed to get these kind of deals now, as th demand for scale-sized equipment has risen quite a bit since then.

As far as restoring old stuff versus original, in the world of muscle cars it's different- top dollar cars are always full- frame off restorations, and are worth more than pure originals unless the later is pristine. And if the car is not the top line model, a highly modified version of the same car is worth more i.e. my '72 Firebird would sell for double with a GM 5.7l LS6 w/ 6-speed trans, aftermarket road race chassis, aftermarket gauges and interior, etc. I think as long as the original look of the car is maintained, the value is still there.