Last Call For The Layout

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Thanks to Ozzy for the inspiration. ;)

I'm gonna try to build the following layout.
    RTS uses 10 inch Atlas track so the design I made came out to a 5x9 but it will fit a 4x8 when done in Lionel track as you can see from the exmples below.

First pic is the track plan.
    Second pic is Lionel's track plan
    3rd pic is of an actual layout using this track plan.
    4th pic is a spreadsheet of what it will cost me for track.

Edit: The acutal layout in the pic is actually for sale on eBay right now. It's first auction ended at $4,495 and the reserve was not met.

Attached Files:

2. Cannonball

Changed one minor thing. I didn't like the sharp turn on the upper level of the trestle. Added a half track to widen it a bit. I'm going to bed now. It's 2 AM and I have to take my wife to work at 4:30.

Attached Files:

3. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Cannonball, that's a very nice 4x8 layout. Spankybird is right that the eBay price is really high, but you avoid that by building it yourself. You'll be able to do a lot of things with that layout and it should be really fun to build, and shouldn't take terribly long to build either.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the ebay layout is a layout that lionel sent out to some of its dealers as a display. its full of operating gadgets. all mint condition,,,, thats why it was bid up so high, but im not sure what its worth if you did not count it being an "dealer display"

i like the track plan tho, only draw back is you can only run one train.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the seller wants to ship the whole thing for 995.00 now i know thats padded a bit even shipping the table, but if i was selling in, id just box up all the track, and acc, and scrap the table, might take 4 or 5 box's but i bet shipping would atleast be under
  7. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

The Lionel layout with 4 operating acc at about $250.00 each = $1,000. The layout that I built had Operating Mcd's, train station, operating watchman, and Lionel Zoo. It also had the HO layout around the Zoo and included two starter sets with PS2 engines.

The Ebay is very overpriced! but is a nice layout for a 4' x 8' layout.
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

9. trainnut65

trainnut65 Member

Yea you know that is the trouble with E-bay and trains. some ppl have more money than thay have brains. I have been watching a item and the price would go way over what you can buy it for new at the LHS. E-bay is a good place to buy used trains and stuff but you have to watch the shipping and the other bidders on there.
  10. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i got that boxcar, id sell it for 1/2 whats that one on ebay is bid up to, lol

11. Cannonball

Good grief! :rolleyes:
    More proof that there's a sucker born every minute.

Thanks for the comments on the layout, guys. It should be fun to build.
    Spankybird- I love that oak benchwork! Very nice! :thumb:

I only have one question......

Is there any way the track can be attached to the trestles?
    It always bugged me to just have them setting loose up there. I know the trestles themselves can be nailed down but what about the track on top?
  12. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i dont have any trestles. but i thought that they snaped in/on.

and BTW i dont see them on your list to buy............

i hope someone meets that ebay layout reserve, i want to see what its set

13. Cannonball

No. I always thought there should be a way for them to attach to the tracks but if there is, I haven't figured it out yet. The tracks just kind of lay on top.

The reason you don't see them on my list to buy is because I already have a set. I've just never used them before. They tend to wobble if they aren't fastened down to the benchwork and I've never done a permanent layout to fasten them before.

I'm really curious to see what it will sell for too.
  14. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

why dont you go bid it up a bunch so we will all know what the reserve is?????......lmao i wont tell ya and you can hide it at my place!

15. Cannonball

It would be my luck that I'd end up winning the darn thing and then have to try and figure out how to pay for it! :eek: :D
  16. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

what? the SJFL RR not making much of a profit? cant buy out another RR yet?

17. Geno

Geno Member

I applaud anyone's effort to buld a layout- it takes the will, drive, and dedication to do it. I never thought I would myself, but I am, and am looking forward to just getting track and trains running on the table.

I admit for a first layout my plan is ambitious, but I say if you're go for it, go big and don't look back.

18. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well the ebay layout is bid to 4999.99, with 8 days left i think. i think the reserve is 5000.00 . but im not going to bid to find
  19. Cannonball

It's already up that high and there's over a week to go on the auction?? Dang......
  20. Geno

Geno Member

The thing to note here is that this layout is also a piece of Lionel history- an original 1957 D-190 dealer display (providing the documentation is authentic). As to the price,it's at $5k and it hasn't even met reserve yet. Add to that another $1000 for shipping (another Ebayer price gouging on shipping at best) that's $6K and you're not even there yet.

My guess is that this guy wants at least $8-10k for this layout. Is it worth it? Only if you're in to postwar. Oh well, to each his/her own.