Larry "Max" Maxfield

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Jim Krauzlis, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

I don't know if any of our members were aware but I just sadly learned of the passing of "Max". I recently wrote him an email and received a reply from his wife Janine today informing me that Larry passed away on July 29th after he had an accident on his motorcycle.

I sincerely apologize if this is old news, but I did not see anyone make mention of this earlier. Personally, I am in shock and so deeply saddened by Max's passing. I had the honor and pleasure of finally meeting Max in person while away on business in San Diego last year, some might recall, and we spent a wonderful evening just chatting about paper modeling, family and was treated to a hand's on viewing of his wonderful HMS Cleopatra as well as some of his other amazing ship models. Although I met him only this once, we had chatted a lot on and off line for quite a while and any one who knew Max even casually knew how his messages and greetings were full of energy, friendliness and honest from the heart emotion. In short, he was "good people." He loved cardmodeling and I know one of his many joys came from this forum and its members.

I will always cherish those moments in San Diego and deeply miss his open, friendly way...he made you feel like family...he was truly a special guy whose untimely loss will be felt by those who had the honor of knowing him.

God bless you, Max.

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

I am in shock and profound sadness on this report. People like Larry are rare and need to be treasured..., now we've lost much of what makes us rich.

3. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Gil, I have to tell you I am still numb from learning of this tragic news earlier today. I had no idea, and was floored when I received the email from his wife. I think he was pretty active in the Southern California paper modeling circles, and am a little surprised no word of his untimely passing was noted before this morning; maybe it was, I just didn't hear anything.

You are absolutely right...he was indeed a humorous, kind and amiable person, one I always looked forward to hearing from, to read his posts and to see the magic of his incredible builds. I feel so honored and privileged to have had the chance to actually meet him in person, albeit only once and for but a few hours, but I cannot get over the great shock and sense of loss at his passing.

4. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

This is very sad news. I had the pleasure of knowing Larry as a member of the SCPMC. A great modeler with a wonderful sense of humor, I will miss him.

Jim Nunn
  5. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

sad news - he was one of THE faces of this forum - i can hardly find words.
    a great loss for his family - a great loss for the paper community.

paper forever
  6. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi There,

I'm not know him personaly but I respect of his building skill,

God bless you, Max...we will missed you.
  7. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Sad news indeed, especially as he was a fellow motorcyclist, and it was a riding accident that took him. Very sad.

Thanks for letting us all know,

Tim P
  8. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

I read this last night and sat in silence. I was shocked. I don't post much but read often. His posts were always a pleasure to read. I did not meet him but "knew him" through what he shared with us which was substantial. Farewell Larry.

9. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Hi all,

I used to talk with Max through Yahoo Instant Messenger, and he was always looking to forward to put some time into his Cleo.

And he wanted to meet up with me in San Diego when i was there during those GIS conference, but unfortunately my time was not my own when i was there.

If anyone would like to read the obit of Larry, you can visit it here

10. Tirta

Tirta Member

This is sad news.
    I remember when I read his Cleo post the first time.
    I feel very fascinated by his building skill, I did not know before that sail ship can be made from paper.

Farewell Max.
    God bless you.