Largest card model?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by andrew ferguson, Apr 6, 2007.

1. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I don't know why it took me until now to see this, but....

DANG!! That's awesome!!!

The Missus would kill me... [​IMG]
  2. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Saturn V Launch Pad

Thanks, Greelt!

Looking forward to that - I´ll keep my eyes open for new things on Jon´s site on the Chronological list . . .

All the best,
    Bengt :smile:
  3. mka1957

mka1957 New Member

My name is MSgt Mark Ashley, with the 134th Air Refueling Wing in Knoxville, Tennessee. The F-104 that I built turned out to be almost exactly 1/2 scale. As a matter of fact, there is an actual F-104 on static display at our front gate, so I had a perfect comparison. The original plans were from Kancho's amazing website. Of course, I had to make some adjustments for the heavier cardboard, but all the parts fit really well, even at that scale. To be honest, I had never built a paper model before, except for another huge cardboard sled the year before. (A not exactly to scale KC-135.....) I have also done an F-117 although i'm not sure exactly what scale it is. All these have been for cardboard sled races for a local charity. Just as a point of reference, the F-104 was 24 feet long. I still have yet to build an actual paper model, at least in the original size...although I am a huge fan of the craft, and have much bigger plans for some of the models I have found (no pun intended). It is nice to know that my efforts got noticed besides just locally. But I am always quick to give most of the credit to the designers of these amazing models.

Thanks for the kind words.....
  4. that Starfighter was great. How did you do the markings for it? And how long did it take to build, start to finish?
  5. mka1957

mka1957 New Member

Fortunately, I had access to a vinyl cutter, so all the aircarft numbering and lettering was authentic to the F-104's that our unit flew back in the '60's. I used the same cutter to create the national star, using red, white and blue vinyl. The squadron insignia was printed to scale on a standard color ink jet printer, then covered in clear adhesive-backed plastic sheet and glued to the fuselage. all together, it took about 4 weeks total to build. The paint scheme was authentic, according to photo's of our planes, and the help of some veterans who actually worked on the jets.
  6. mka1957

mka1957 New Member

By the way, if you look closely at the photos on Kancho's web site, you will notice that one side of the F-104 has the serial number "FG-848" while the other side has "FG-813". I did this to honor the memory of the two pilots killed in Germany in the early '60's when their two 104's collided on final approach. These are the serial numbers of the two lost aircraft.

Just a piece of trivia.........

7. 57townsman

57townsman Member

8. 57townsman

57townsman Member

9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Mark, great work on the F-104 and welcome to Hope you stick around and try out some actual size models.
  10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Mark, great work on the F-104 and welcome to Hope you stick around and try out some actual size models.
  11. The biggest problem i am facing building my large card model is that i have to build it in sections, (in order to be able to move it around and manipulate it inside my home) and building it in sections means that when i put it all together there will be big, unsightly gaps between the sections, which will spoil the overall appearance of the assembled model.

I've puzzled and puzzled as to how to make the sections fit together fairly seamlessly but no matter what method i come up with, i feel that there will be flaws that will lead to large gaps between adjoining sections. There is just no way to make cuts precise enough, formers flat enough (and glued square enough) and the display surface even enough to prevent these gaps between sections.

To clarify, i'm making a 12 foot long, full hull u-boat....building it in three, 4 foot long sections.

Any ideas for making adjacent sections match up well would be appreciated...
  12. mka1957

mka1957 New Member

U-boat construction

Is there any way I could see which model you are building? It might give me some ideas as to the "giant" construction problems you might be facing, and hopefully give you some ideas....Mark
  13. David H

David H Member

I havent done the first two but I have had good firm joints which break down for transport with the last when I did freeflight aircraft.

How about a bayonet fitting or spigot where you turn the pieces to achieve a tight fit.

Or You could use threaded plastic pulumbing supplies?

Or look at the techniques used in free flight aircraft to attach wings etc. These are generally pulled tight by concealed elastic / rubber bands. Top scale builders cannot be wrong!

14. We are not the first ones with a size problem...:grin:
    I specialy like that hole in the seeling..
    Cheers, Billy
  15. the model i'm building is the Fly Type IX U-boat, blown up to 1/20 scale.

The problem is how to attatch the sections or building the model....the problem is that there will be big gaps where the sections join, just because it is impossible (for me at least) to build with enough precision so that the mating sections will match up perfectly, with no gaps.

Other big card models that have been mentioned in this thread must have been built in sections and then assembled together. How was it done so that the sections mate together well?