Large Z Scale Layout - What's It Worth?

ddindc

Jan 18, 2005
Hi, I'm new to the forum and not actually a model train enthusiaist. I was looking for some advice regarding a large z-scale layout that I recently came upon in my family's storage. It belonged to my father, who passed away many years ago, and my mother would like to sell it. Its in good operating condition, with some cometic flaws here and there (chipped plaster, etc.). Its about five feet by two feet, with two independent tracks and a large mountain feature with exstensive tunneling. I have no idea what its worth, and I was wondering if anyone could give me a ball-park estimate for this type of thing. Thanks so much,

Dan

sams

Dec 17, 2004
dan
its very hard to estimate the value of a layout...esp. anothers.
as its very subjective...pics would help...
the following is not in any particular order, but are some factor to consider in est. a (raw) value:
first...locomotives and rolling stock
second...a list of the kits/items/etc. that are installed on the layout.
third...actual trackplan/amount of trackage/type of trackage (esp. TO's)
fourth...anyother details about the construction (type, quality of materials, etc.)
fifth...any accessories, etc. (transformers, lightings, sounds, etc.)
i guess to this can be added the subject values...how it looks, how it runs, etc.

ddindc

Jan 18, 2005
Sams:

It has three locomotives, a number of cars (passanger and box), a number of structures (houses, etc.), functioning street lamps, two transformers, a turntable and numerous switches. It is made of plaster and wood. Would I be looking at a few hundred dollars, or more?

Thanks,

Dan

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Dan, welcome to the Gauge, It's like about everything, it's worth what someone is willing to pay, Can I suggest you post some pics of what you have in the Buy, Sell & Trade forum of this site? IMHO any site unseen estimate is really just a guess.

ddindc

Jan 18, 2005
Thanks Sal, I will. In your opinion, where would be the best place to sell it? On sites like this one, Ebay, or some other place. Is there a leading Z scale forum, or is this it?

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
ddindc said:
Thanks Sal, I will. In your opinion, where would be the best place to sell it? On sites like this one, Ebay, or some other place. Is there a leading Z scale forum, or is this it?

Sites like this one and ebay are both good, just so you know, the gauge buy, sell, trade forum isn't an online auction, just a means for seller and buyer to connect with each other by Privite Message, e-mail, phone-etc.

sams

Dec 17, 2004
dan,
as scott mentioned...it does depend on what someone is willing to spend (ergo subjective)...
but you can start off with a more objective value...
the actual value of the materials/loco's/equipment/etc. that are part of the layout...
and add on (or subtract) to that the other things that are not so easily quantified ;)
pictures would be most helpful :)
also, the specific type/model/etc. of the loco's and cars will help.
(since...you never know...sometimes they may fall into the "collectable"/desired category)
again, the type of track, amount of track, and (esp.) the number/type of TO's (since these usually add a substantial cost to a layout).
and if you can get a list of the actual structures on the layout, it would be great.
pictures would help to ballpark the last couple of points

F

Fred_M

The locos and rolling stock are worth way more than a layout. The buildings on a layoout are worth more off the layout than on it. Same with the track. Most layouts end up being gave away or throwed away. That's the way it is. A layout is a personal thing that has little value to anyone but the builder. Fred

johnnybsoaring

Jan 13, 2005
z scale layout purchase

Hello,

I'm educated on the "Z" scale stuff as I own some myself and have purchased "Z" items recently as well. Depending on the wear and tear on the engines and cars, you can probably get pretty close to face value for those items. The used track pricing is going to be mostly based off of how the track was fastened to the table. If glued, removing it will only damage it, leave residual glue on it, and make it unusable by most! If it can be safely removed, you should be able to get at least 20% of face value. The earlier statement that was made about the buildings being worth more off the layout than on is pretty much the truth! With more detailed information on the items involved, I could probably make an honest attempt put some kind of dollar value on the items as to what they would cost today ""NEW"" based on a lot of old catalogs! I could get pretty close but not exactly because there are a lot of variables! "Z" scale items really stay pretty price level in the retail/resale market! The only trains that I've found that actually increase in value are the Lionel/MTH lines. Even a lot of the new stuff increases in value dramatically over a short period of time, but only certain items, some items lose value as well. You just have to know the market for "O" gauge! If you need any further help on the "Z" layout values let me know via e-mail as I only get to this page about once a week!

GOOD LUCK

Johnny "B"