large model

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by afleck, Aug 29, 2006.

1. afleck

afleck New Member

good evening modellers. I was wondering if some can assist me. I have some previous card modelling experience (aircraft, motorcycles, rockets). my request is, can someone please tell me the largest aircraft model to build (free if possible). Also is it possible to build card models that can be rubber powered, or even a small electric motor. any assistanc would be greatly appreciated.
  2. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

b-52 from gpm... about 72" span
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

sr71 on this site might be a nice build for ya - 6 ft long if memory serves plus you can make it air powered :)
  4. David H

David H Member

Hi Afleck,

You could look for these books.
    View attachment 2497 View attachment 2498

Not free and not really really huge but they are designed to fly. I had some success with the Spirit of St Louis. But not much with the other 3 or 4 I tried.

I hope to start the Fairey Long Range Monoplane next month when I clear the building board.

Attached Files:

5. Kaz

Kaz Member

6. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

whar can i got this 2 books?
  7. SteveM

SteveM Member

There is the Alan Rose DC-3 6 foot wingspan but only the front half. Occassionaly shows up on eBay.

GEEDUBBYA Active Member

Howdy Afleck,

How about a six or seven foot tall Apollo Saturn Rocket made of paper for free? Go to jleslies website and then click "real spacecraft" and you will find this model as a free download:

He als offers tons of other free models there, both large and small, he has a really nice site.

Hope this helps, have a nice day,

Greg aka GW
  9. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

There is a thread on an aircraft model scaled up to be a child's toy. Actually if you really wanted, the sky is the limit. Purchase a digital image projector for your computer and project any model on to large size corrugated sheet (try the dumpster behind a furniture, appliance or matress store). My plan is to someday to try and replicate the cockpit of a WW II bomber in this manner.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  10. David H

David H Member

I have had Paper Planes for sone 18 years! Paper Planes 2 maye 10 years. I have seen them listed by book sellers on some book search websites, some times surprisingly cheeply but postage might be expensive. Down side would be buying without seeing their condition.

I have 6 left unbuilt/attempted but feel confident I can do them more justice than previous attempts (Farey Long Range, B52, Hawker Huricane prototype, Gloucester Gladiator Blackburn Baracuda and Rhonadler glider). Of course I could use a scanner to create a saftey net (but I didn't say that).

Regret I started the others when I was less experienced.

I will have a search at lunch time.

11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think its fine to scan them so long as its for your own use ;) thats what many people do with their purchased card models to make sure they get the build right before cutting into the kit
  12. afleck

afleck New Member

thanks for all the replies, i did not realise it was such a popular hobby. can someone please tell me what is the best paper/card to use for these models.
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

If you intend on a flying model - especially a powered and not a glider then use 110 lb cardstock at a minimum - probably still need to reinforce in key areas on top of that. I would imagine that some of those intended to fly (like the sr-71) might have more specific instructions on what to use for certain parts. Not sure though.
  14. afleck

afleck New Member

what about just standard modelling, what weight of card is suitable.
  15. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

It still kinda depends on the model. I do most of mine with epson heavyweight paper 44lb or so. I think most people use 67 or 110 lb cardstock. 110 gets hard for rolling tubes and such for me. Its really a personal preference iin the end.
  16. jcrespo

jcrespo Member

I go along with John Griffin. The B-52 Stratofortress from GPM is by far the largest kit I've ever seen. Probably needs quite a bit of reinforment in order to fly (and keep it in one piece).

Attached Files:

17. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

u can tray the free boing 707 by bob :) and u can scall it up for 1/33 (wow that need to be big)

and also big model is the

b-17 gpm
  18. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

and i forgot the big hobby model tu160 and the fly models b1 and meny more

i will make some cool pic in the photoshop from some catalog i found over the net
  19. Where's the 6 foot SR-71 at? Might like to give that a try. :grin: