Landing gear wire for 1/33 plane models

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cardmodeler, Feb 8, 2006.

1. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

I am trying to muddle my way through the Maly(or Maty, I'm not sure which it is) Modelartz Wildcat kit, and the Polish instructions are giving me fits. I know I need wire for the landing gear but I can't figure out what diameter the wire should be. Any help would be much appreciated. Happy modeling.
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

I use paper clips.......... others use floral wire.

I also have found that if you get some printer labels you can use that to wrap the wire and make a better looking strut..........:twisted:

3. Swinger

Swinger Member

Use 0,8-1mm wire (in my Wildcat I used paper clips, too).

P.S. It's neither maty nor maly, but mały. ;) Pronounced like "w" in English.
  4. shrike

shrike Guest

Piano wire - stiff and springy yet easily bent without breaking- is readily available at most hobby/craft shops.

Metric Size Nominal Imperial Size
    1mm .040
    .8mm .032
    .5mm .020 /.025
    .3mm .012

1mm = .0394 inch, but available wire sizes don't corespond exactly

Google for guitar strings about $5.00 a set. Sizes up to .5mm, good to have around.
  6. mwangarch

mwangarch New Member

Piano wire is hardened and will ruin any wirecutters or pliars...just be aware that you need a dremel abrasive disc to cut through it (sparks!). Paper clips are soft wire and can be formed easily and cut with hand tools.
  7. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I use good old paper clips. The larger ones usually have a larger diameter, but I stick with the smallest size.