Lancaster Bomber Becomes Newest Fixation

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Gil, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Peter jackson has just announced he will Produce the Dambusters.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yes the remake.

It's going to be interesting what the crew's dog's name will be if anyone saw the original. =X
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

wasn't it dubbed to blackie? although I think that is deemed offensive now, isn't it?
  4. David H

David H Member

Any time we drive by RAF Scampston near Lincoln we start to na dee...

So is this movie going to be the long over due "Memphis Belle" for RAF and Commonwealth aircrew?

5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Revisionist History...

Ah tea out my nose...

You can bet it won't be the actual name that the dog had, which would be offensive in todays world. When I was a kid we had a cat with the same name, I cringe to think of it now.
  6. David H

David H Member

A debate appears to be developing...

At what point should historical accuracy be compromised to stop offence in today’s more enlightened times? Aeroplane markings of a well known WWII combat are frowned upon in Europe (in fact illegal). If the Lancaster specials are CGI perfect and the crews are a cosmopolitan mix of British and Commonwealth chaps shouldn't a dogs name (a name we dare not speak) be accurate?

Perhaps the whole mission and Bomber Command and the USAF should be criticized- they didn't use precision weapons and blowing a dam was calculated to cause massive collateral damage. Just think what today’s media would make of it?

I don't claim to have any answers but think we should take the rough with the smooth of our history. It will be interesting to see what happens...

7. charliec

charliec Active Member

I think the shade of Barnes Wallis would be outraged - the weapon used against the German dams was a precision ordinance. An attack by one squadron caused disruptions to armament manufacture in the Ruhr. The point of the attack was to deny German industry access to hydraulic resources (water) not to cause damage by flooding. Similarly another of Barnes Wallis' designs - the 22,000lb earthquake bomb - was highly successful in destroying precision targets such as U-boat pens with limited collateral damage.

The Allied bombing campaigns against German and Japanese cities might be endlessly debated and criticised for its use of area attacks but the Dambusters raid isn't part of this.

8. possm_23

possm_23 Member

historical facts should be stated " correctly".......if the dogs name was "whitie" it wouldnt be changed.....
  9. shrike

shrike Guest

I think the saddest part will be that if the remake is at all faithful to the original movie, particulalry in dialog and climactic scenes, Peter Jackson will be accused of copying Star Wars by a whole crop of critics who aren't old enough to remember anything before MTV
  10. Kaz

Kaz Member

Anyhow take a look at Spike Lee, Quentin Tarantino et al, I'd wager its kept

Lenny Bruce was right (IMHO) and that the 'n' word, by repetition would be 'defanged'. I had the opportunity to work with a Nigerian, who would laugh at the stupidity that the word was not allowed to be said, 'considering it's Exactly what I am'
  11. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Copying Star Wars

I just ran both films through my mind, and there is a distinct resemblance between the bomb run on the dams and the attack on the Death Star at that.

Anyhow if this film is made, I'll be standing there with my money in my hands to buy a ticket and if it is as good as the original (something that most remakes aren't) the DVD when it comes out.
  12. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Historical Accuracy

I couldn't agree with you more, what happened, happened, and nothing will change it. Reporting it does not mean that we approve or disapprove of the events.

Re: Swastikas being illegal on models, this is true for general distribution in Germany (they are sensitive in that area) but those displayed in a museum may have historically accurate markings. If I build a model of a German aircraft of the period for one of the kids around here, I delete or deface the offending symbol.
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I gotta say. This remake is a rather strange project. Of the many interesting stories to come out of the Greatest Generation I think Peter Jackson should find one that isnt yet another 'remake'.
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Dam busters

Well according to Hollywood the US captured the enigma machine so I suppose Guy Gibson will suddenly have been coopted from the USAF ......

Leave the morality of bombing where it belongs 65 years ago but remember when it really gets personal like picking yourself up out of the bottom of hedge where you got blown to or being just missed by a V1 (lucky for me I was only in London a couple of times) it just goes out of the window to be replaced by don't get mad get even. A bomb is just a bomb so called precision or not, hand held or skybourne

Better still let's not go there again, pity we have not learned a thing from History

barry (devout coward)
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

A movie about the German invasion of France and France's response would be interesting.

A movie about the London Blitz and the people who survived and fought against it would be rather interesting as well.

I can just imagine a scene played out where a Spitfire chases down a V1 after running out of ammo and trying to flip it off course before it was too late.

Again, morality aside, the stories of human perseverance abound in this era. Why pick something that has already seen film is beyond me.
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

I would imagine that the Lancaster Bomber is going to be the real star of the film. Cinematography and Computer Graphics have now merged to provide a seamless tool for the producer and Peter is now irretrievably lost to telling the story of one of his favorite airplanes and probably the best bomber of World War II "The Lancaster". This I believe is the bigger story. Also, remedial action to suppress evil is unto itself evil...,

17. Kaz

Kaz Member

Although a little short... :)
  18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Wasn't the Star Wars sequence inspired by the Dam Busters? As was the Dark Star cockpit set design by the B52 cockpits in Dr Strangelove? Or was it Nostromo?

Anyway, film makers ought to do their best to put historical subjects in THEIR OWN context, and educate us if our knowledge is lacking. Bending the story in any way to suit modern (gutless) sensibilities, to bend to the flatulance of 'Political Correctness' is simply to tell lies. Those who fail to learn from history will simply relive it. Look at the Middle East. Sheesh, look at anywhere in the modern world....... I reckon we should all be studying the history of the Crusades right now! It has ALL happened before!

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  19. rickstef

rickstef Guest

4 or more Rolls Royce Merlins ripping through the sound system in the theater

that is what i will be hoping for

20. ...or Bridges of Toko-Ri.

Cheers --- Larry