Ladder Yards

Scott Chapin

Jul 4, 2005
Powder Springs, GA, USA
I am having a problems designing a ladder yard. When starting with a turnout off the main line, say a lefthand turnout, all the others beg to be righthand. This seems to me to create a nasty reverse curve. One that you can pull cars through, but not push them through.

Where can I get some decent information on creating double ended ladder yards?

Thanks,

Scott

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Welcome aboard Scott!! :D

I googled a railroad yard search for images:

http://images.google.com/images?q=railroad+yard&btnG=Search&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=

but in the meantime, I'm guessing you mean - 2 switches right together causing the "dreaded" S curve :(

If you put a length of straight in betwen the 2 switches it'll help.

Also - you mention "Double ended" if the yard is double ended you would very seldom have to reverse through the "S".

Here's a G scale Yard I took at a show... It's a good Ladder View:

ECLSTS2005007.jpg

Notice the "S" (just above) in the lower pic.... :)

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Scott, The S curve you get in a ladder such as you descibe usually doesn't present a problem with derailments. Particularly if you use # 6 turnouts. Atlas snaptrack switches used in conjunction with truck mounted couplers may cause a problem when being pushed thru, but it isn't the s so much as the tight turnout and truck mounted couplers. The reason an S curve in this situation is, for all intnts and purposes, exempt ftom the taboo of S curves, is that switching speeds are slow. S curves created by crossovers on double track mains, even with # 6's, also require speed restrictions (on the prototype too!)

Gary

Scott Chapin

Jul 4, 2005
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Thanks guys,

My first go at it was with Atlas no. 6 turnouts (snap track) and truck mounted couplers, both rapido couplers and Micro-Trains. I would have expected body mounted couplers to be more problematic, since they swing away from the track's center line to a greater degree. Wouldn't this buckling pick the trucks up off the rails?

I was under the impression that body mounted couplers require larger turning radii.

Scott

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Hi Scott
This is one solution I came across to help out in yards.
All of the switches, with the exception of the mainline in red and the A/D in darker blue are #4 Atlas Customline switches.

Having some problems uploading the image.

Attachments

• no7pinwheel.jpg
    no7pinwheel.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 65

Scott Chapin

Jul 4, 2005
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Hi Clark,

Is there a link here? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean with the colors. Also, I'm not sure with the meaning of A/D. Ooops! Spoke too soon. The plans are there now!

Thanks!

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Atlas customline or peco electrofrogs will give you a more functional ladder arrangement than Atlas insulfrogs.they are smoother ot seems for ladder arrangements.
Clarks stub ended example above could also be turned into a through yard with the same lead in arrangement reversed.the above example would be a better choice if Atlas insulfrogs are used IMHO.
Insulfrogs however are a poor choice for any yard arrangement with perhaps the exception of a staging yard where switching will not be done.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Tileguy, I think somewhere in your response you went wrong, in one sentence you say don't use insulfrog and then you say to use them. I think you meant to say customline here right? Or am I reading it wrong???? Also lets say I have access to only atlas what would be the best to use for code 100 track?? Pat
"a better choice if Atlas insulfrogs are used IMHO"

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Scott Chapin said:
Hi Clark,

Is there a link here? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you mean with the colors. Also, I'm not sure with the meaning of A/D. Ooops! Spoke too soon. The plans are there now!

Thanks!

Ha Scott, welcome to The Gauge. A/D stands for arival and departure. Usually the A/D track is between the main and the yard ladder.

I have two #4 atlas turnouts as crossovers and into a yard with the only derail problems I've had is with hoppers that aren't up to weight.

Scott Chapin

Jul 4, 2005
Powder Springs, GA, USA
belg said:
Tileguy, I think somewhere in your response you went wrong

I don't think so. Tileguy implied that insulfrogs would work on Clark's yard, because there would not be a lot of low speed motive power in that style of yard.

Parking locomotives on insulfrogs can be a frustrating experience, so heavy switching areas need constant contact with juice.

That's my take on it anyway.

Scott

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Scott, at least you understood what i said, and thats what counts.

Pat, i can see where it was confusing.I'm not a big insulfrog fan and ive had my share of them causing me to do modifications on locomotives,wiring for tender pickup etc.

If its a first or second layout and is being built on a tight budget, there are ways to use insulfrogs to save some money.(particularly with the new locomotives)But, for an experienced modeler building a layout for operations,insulfrogs should only be used where they cant be seen and wont interfere with smooth operating.