Lack of sleep due to card modelling =)

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by gian7675, Aug 23, 2007.

Lack of sleep

1. I had it in the beginning but it's gone now

12 vote(s)
  2. I still have sleepless nights now and then

64 vote(s)
  3. Never had this sleepless thingy, I alway sleep like a log =)

29 vote(s)
  1. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I'm a card-carryin member of the chronic insomnia club...

modeling does help pass the time though!
  2. N. Charles Hann

N. Charles Hann New Member

i find that the cutting up of all the pieces can take up to 10 to 12 hours on some models and many a time i get into it and ten or twelve hours have slipped by, i find it very relaxing, nut then i have to sleep for four or so hours, and back to cutting or building.

I usually check my mail at 2 am and depending if there are some interesting web pages i can stroll through out the wed for several hours prior to going to bed. but then i am up around 8-9 am and back at the cards. Being retired is so nice.
  3. Thomas Meek

Thomas Meek New Member

When I first started papermodelling I would stay up till 1:30 or 2:00 far too often. Sometimes even later.

Eventually I learned that the workbench would still be there the next evening. I seldom have trouble sleeping anymore.

Although it now takes me longer to finish a project I have found that it is also nice to be able to function the next day.
  4. nibel

nibel Member

Damn I still have 30+ years to go before I can say that..
  5. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

lack of sleep is not an option. I always wake up around 5-6AM eastern time USA. Since I am retired, I do not have that time constraint. I surf the papermodeling pages but always return to Zealot.

In fact I have to get me a part time job so that I can get a break from paper modeling.

The surgeon General has stated that prolong paper modeling is addictive and can cause insomnia and other side effects. LOL...LOL...LOL.
  6. BCA

BCA New Member

My thoughts of cardmodelling at the end of the day are just as I lay down to drift off to sleep - It actually helps me drift off to sleep. I think of the progress I made and the projects that I want to start. It is SUPPOSED TO BE RELAXING :eek:)
  7. ZenithMkII

ZenithMkII New Member

Zenith FM4 Late nights

I built this model twice. took me days to finish.
  8. Cyana

Cyana New Member

1:20 am and still awake ...
  9. Vyceroy

Vyceroy New Member

I have had many days where i start in the early afternoon then look at the clock and its suddenly 4 am ..
  10. Blackronin

Blackronin New Member

I sleep little. Since I was a kid. I do envy people that sleep well and fall asleep immediately like my wife.

Still, cardmodeling is a silent thing that I can do in my room while I watch my wife sleeping.

And as I also write and design games these are the three things that make me company as the night goes on.
  11. TDavis

TDavis New Member

Several people have posted that they are retired. Me, too, for a year and a half now. When I was working, I sometimes found myself up WAY too late, cutting out "just one more part". Thank God for strong coffee. Since then I've learned how wise a friend of mine is. He retired two years before I did and imparted this lesson: The greatest thing about being retired isn't that you can sleep as late as you like, it's the fact that you can STAY UP as late as you like! Amen to that, brother!
  12. DaveStan

DaveStan New Member

Like any other hobby I think paper modelling can definitely turn into some sort of addiction.

Sometimes after glueing a piece to a model you think "Now what?"... For me the answer is always somewhere between "While I´m already at it..." and "Nothing else I want to do right now". If any model is WIP (work in progress) I´m somewhat avid to get it completed.
    Another fact I learned is that sometimes you forget everything around you. After a "while" of modelling you take a sudden look at a nearby clock and realize that already 6 hours or so have passed. Starting in the evening I often ended up building my models untin 2 AM.

To me that´s not that much of a problem, quite the opposite: between 9 PM and 3 AM I´m most productive. Well, it sometimes can be difficult to get up the next morning if there are some lectures I need to attend. :rolleyes:

Like one of my university lecturer said: "There are no problems. There are only challenges."
  13. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Working too many years on 2nd shift has made productive in the evening also. Being medically retired, some times my disability keeps me up, and if isn't preventing modeling, I thank God for the pastime. It is also a great time for designing. Though sometimes I wake up and wonder, "What was I thinking!".
  14. mchale

mchale beach boy

i spend all of my day watching movies while building or designing models and surfing the web and watching tv or designing from 10 o'clock pm to 3 to 4:40 am then i go to sleep listing to music and wake up between 9 and 10 in the morning and i am doing the same thing again i am 22 no job no kids or wife or girlfriend i also eat i almost forgot that
  15. m9rfzzy

m9rfzzy hobo

just saw this and made me laugh -.-
    Family members birthday tomorrow and i just spent the last 48 hours up completing a model for her, so it be done on time.. Lmao

Defiantly many sleepless nights in my future e.e
  16. NoneOfTheAbove

NoneOfTheAbove New Member

I think I may be going into one shortly... Just hit that point in my current build where I just have to keep going and finish this section
  17. Zathros

Zathros Guest

mchale, you need to get a bicycle or something to get you out of that house. You could get a recumbent trike, if you can't ride a regular bicycle. There are enough warm months in Pa. for you to do this. You could try getting into hiking of just plain walking! It is really important that you get out and out of that room once in a while. :)
  18. Eric Ferguson

Eric Ferguson Member

I agree with Zathros on a recumbent (or bents as we like to call them).I have been fortunate, if that's the the way to put it, to be given, two different bents at two different times. (Both were due to deaths. One direct, one indirect.) Both are two wheelers and the most comfortable rides I have ever enjoyed. Not riding now as both are in dire need of repair. I could ride with a bad back and come back with a back feeling better. There are a few drawbacks, but some of that was due to me. Rode a trike bent a few times and wish I could afford one. By all means, look into a bent!!!!!
  19. RocketmanTan

RocketmanTan Well-Known Member

Being a student at a highly-competitive school that's some 16 miles away from my current residence, I get almost NO sleep on weekdays :rolleyes:
    My schoolwork usually takes me into 1 o' clock in the morning, and I wake up at 5:30 to catch the train into the city. Not to mention my insomnia prevents me from sleeping for an hour or so...

On weekends, however, I sleep like a freaking log :thumb:
  20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Geez Eric, I wished we lived close by each other. Maybe we do? Send me a P.M. and let me know. My brother in law was a major designer for Canondale bikes for years. He designed the Six-Thirteen, the Scalpel frame. The company gave me many parts, and I have a small machine shop in my home. I have fixed bikes for many people. I wish I could still ride the trike I made, but my back is in such bad shape these days. This is a pic of the trike when I was using it. I made it out of 2" diameter Exhaust pipe. It has disc brakes, rear air shock suspension and 24 speeds. It was very easy to maintain a consistent 15 to 18 m.p.h. on it.

Attached Files: