Lack of sleep due to card modelling =)

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by gian7675, Aug 23, 2007.

Lack of sleep

1. I had it in the beginning but it's gone now

12 vote(s)
  2. I still have sleepless nights now and then

64 vote(s)
  3. Never had this sleepless thingy, I alway sleep like a log =)

29 vote(s)
  1. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Hi guys!

Just wondering who among the card modellers here are experiencing many a sleepless nights due to cardmodelling?

I'm currently having less and less sleep in the past few days because of my Shipyard La Belle Poule Build with it's flimsy folders that I improvised.

I try to sleep but I wake up after 2-3 hours and I start thinking again about my card model as to what I can do to solve it's non-fitting parts. I try to sleep again but i wake up after 1-2 hours again.

Maybe I better put my current card model outside my room. My current card model is currently sitting at my table ner my bed so that I can see it always :rolleyes:

Any card modellers still/having/had this sleeping problem?

2. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

If card modelling keeps you awake at night how do you deal with problems at work ? Family issues ? etc....... You know, the things that some poor misguided fools might consider more important than a hobby ;)
  3. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Thanks God I don't have problems at work (knoks on wood), and I don't have a family of my own now so i don't have a problem with that either :mrgreen:

Anyway, if I did have a problem at work...weirdly it solves itself immediately so I hope it never comes to the point that it will kepp me awake thinking about it :mrgreen:

I work in a sensitive place with a lot of "eyes in the sky" watching over my every move so it never bothers me at all :mrgreen:

I'm new at cardmodelling so mostly, it's the excitement of trying to solve the problem and finishing my cardmodel immediately that keeps me awake :p :wave:
  4. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Ok - I'm jealous now sign1
  5. knife

knife Member

Due to the collapse of my career by forces beyond my control, I have had several sleepless nights this last year. I find cardmodeling is a quiet late night activity that gets my mind off negative thoughts without disturbing the family. It gives me a chance to use the otherwise wasted hours to accomplish small achievable goals.
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I have spent time where I should have been sleeping working on design ... not actual building. When I wasn't working I had problems sleeping and when I was not online I actually forced myself to card model the M41a Pulse Rifle in order to 'wind down'.

To me the hobby is rather a peaceful activity. Currently I have been running full out so it's pretty much a given I don't have time to build.
  7. dansls1

dansls1 Member

I don't miss sleep when building - but I do use the 'down time' when I'm trying to fall asleep to build things in my head. Especially when I am not 100% sure of how a part of a model works or if I'm going to be trying a new technique to me in the next few steps of a model I think through it in my head - and have some great ideas in this 'clear' time right before I fall asleep.
    As far as building instead of sleeping - the first thing that happens when I get tired is my eyes start losing focus. I use this as my 'alarm' that it's getting too late and to stop - so I don't mess anything up from being tired.
  8. David H

David H Member

Miss sleep, for any reason? You don't have young children do you...

Next you'll be asking if anyone misses their beers! In both respects I am definitely a card modelling dilettante!

I wonder if there is a forum dedicated to catching the Zs...?

9. sakrison

sakrison Member

I miss sleep when I stay up too late working on card models. And I make sure my workbench always has room for a glass of beer or a snifter of single malt. It's a hobby, right? Make the most of it!
  10. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Sorry... what was that?

Oh... sleep... do I have to? If my better half goes to sleep, there's always the diner table to continue some building.
  11. knife

knife Member

Sometimes I wake up grumpy, other times I let her sleep in.
  12. David H

David H Member

Early morning you are talking.

I am definitely a morning person- perhaps it's the coffee!
    But today its bicycle maintenance...

13. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

My modelling skills are stillo novice enough that all I need is to compund my problems by fighting sleep at the same time. Not to mention the problems with The Missus when I'm "spending more time on those **** models than you do with me."

I might lose sleep thinking about a tough part, or what's next on the build list, but I won't let myself play with sharp objects while half asleep...
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

my sleepless nights are from the kids, not the models ;)
  15. Gregory Shoda

Gregory Shoda Member

When I first started, I was very enthused. I'd work from after dinner until 1 am and sometimes 2 am and get up at 5:30 am to get ready for work. As time went by, I cut back on the amount of time I spent.

So I know, gian7675, what you are talking about.
  16. Starbuzz

Starbuzz New Member

Very very well spoke for me (regarding career too). I find cardmodelling to be very enjoyable in the night when the world sleeps. And I am the only one awake in the neighborhood in the middle of the night!

I have severe sleep problems...I can sleep only for 5 hours...not more than that. So, cardmodelling keeps me occupied during those lonely hours.
  17. sergiotang95

sergiotang95 Member

Not many things keep me awake.
  18. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Maybe sort of

Sometimes I stay up too late working on a build or design project, but once I go to sleep it's pretty rare I wake up at all.

On those odd occasions when I do wake up and have trouble falling back to sleep, I may sit at the computer and work on a development or re-paint of something for a bit until I feel tired again.

19. N. Charles Hann

N. Charles Hann New Member

i thought my lack of sleep was due to some psyclgical thing,but nooooo ,i have to see what there is on the computer and just finding zelot, i might as well sell the bed.
  20. AbysmalPea

AbysmalPea Hey! You with the face!

I generally have a horrible sleeping pattern anyways. But now, instead of staying up late and playing video games, I stay up late and model. I figure that's a fairly decent alternative.