LA5fn..Short History

Discussion in 'Model History & Reference' started by gera, Feb 22, 2005.

1. gera

gera Member

The La-5 was the most famous Russian plane of the Second World War.
    The La-7, itself was an updated La-5. It was essentially a LaGG-3 with a radial engine, entering service in 1942 during the Battle for Stalingrad. This powerful fighter was as good as the German Me-109G and Fw-190A. The La-5 was originally powered by a Shvetsov M-82 radial, but this engine was too small so the fuselage was modified and the new M-82F was put in its place. The new model of La-5 known as the La-5F began reaching the front in 1943. The La-5 was very efficient in both speed and armament, and soon the Luftwaffe was taking notice of this powerful fighter.The new engine gave more power and increased speed and the rate of climb. From it the La-7 was developed, which proved to be the best Russian fighter of the war staying in service for many years after.
    Its interesting to note that LaGG-3, and the La-7 are both modeled in card.

....The Model is from a kit in Cardstock Modeler in 1:50 scale.....
  2. Boris

Boris Member

Actually All of the LaGG-La Family is published in paper
    There's LaGG - 3 By Fly model (Together with MiG -3 ) Also There's La-5FN , again by Fly Model (Together with Yak-9) And there's LA-7 by Maly

There's a La-11 model by Model art which is a direct development of La-7

By the way there's a small mistake in this story
    Sure LaGG-3 was the first to enter the production but it had alot of problems with maneuverability and vertical speed but the biggest problem was the lack of watercooled VK-105 engine (as a fact the MiG-3 production was terminated in favor of IL - 2) but there were a lot of aircooled M-82(Later known as ASh-82) .Then Lavochkin took a decision to install M-82 engine in LaGG-3. The problem was that M-82 had a lot bigger diameter and other connection ports
    The M-82 was used on SU-2 attack plane and Gudkov (Second designer of LaGG-3 ) decided to take whole nose section of Su - 2 and install it on LaGG-3 (he called this test plane Gu-82 ) but it wouldn't go for some strange reasons

Lavochkin went another way - he took M-82 and changed mounting posts on the plane and placed another cover above the existing body and by this enabled to speed up the production and to improve air-dynamics
    La-5FN is a modernisation of La-5 made by installing M-82FN engine and improving some mechanisms M-82FN had a direct fuel injection and higher compression rate and by this it had nominal 1480 HP (instead of 1330 hp in M-82) and 1850 hp on take off

The La 7 was another modernisation of La-5FN - it used a wing longerons made of steel istead of delta wood and it used three B-20 20 mm guns instead of two ShKAS guns
  3. gera

gera Member

Thank you for the corrections Boris........... :oops:
  4. Boris

Boris Member

Actually it's nice to know that someone builds models of russian WW2 planes
    For some reasons it seems that models of russian planes are somewhat neglected and not published at all . I think that I can count models of russian WW2 planes using ten fingers :-(
  5. Swinger

Swinger Member

As for Poland, probably it is because before 1990 there were too many of them. ;-) You can find quite a lot of Russian WWII aircrafts in the old Mały Modelarz kits.
  6. gera

gera Member

You are right, you don't see many Russian planes. I have a large collection and eagerly read about them as much as I can. In America is little known about them. Instead you see the P-51 Mustangs and P-47's all over, to the point of not noticing them anymore. I flew the P-51 back in the early 60's, great aircraft but I would love to try a Mig 3, etc.....
    I got the Jak3 in 1:50 scale but will soon start one in 1:33. I am looking for the 1:50 Kartonowy Swait La-5. The Pe-2 is one of my favorite planes and an old Maly is waiting to be built :D
  7. Boris

Boris Member

Gerardo :
    I have to agree with you there's not enogh information about russian planes UNLESS you can read russian ( Well , I can :) )
    There's a great site contaning large articles about russian planes , but , again , in english part there's only pictures and sometimes technical data

But the best thing I could find is an online book written by Vadim Shavrov and it's called "History of airplanes construction in USSR , 1939-1950"
    Vadim Shavrov was an airplane designer and he witnessed creation of many airplanes and , while working in TzAGI participated in developing new airplanes and surely knew personally many of designers so if you need any info on any russian plane in WW2 please be my guest and PM me