La Patrouille de France!

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Dragos, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

Hello !
    This week I've found on this thread :
    I's cool to have a airplaine of the Frecce Tricolori. The Fiat G91 Frecce Tricolore is a kit from Geli and I don't have it. So, in the future I want to repaint a Aeromachi MB-326 in the colors of Frecce Tricolori.
    Until then I've repainted a Alpha Jet from (because is free :-D ) in the colors of the Patrouille de France.
  2. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

here it is:
  3. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Nice job!
  4. sr5nm

sr5nm Member

5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

--Crisis!!! Ojimak seems to be very angry on this... Better apologize than having the downloads off...............

(PS: There isn't a download link to the repaint in this thread, so I thought it'll be okay. But looks like it's not)
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Yes........... I too am surprised by this re-action. No re-color was made available to others, he only did this for his use/collection.

It looked pretty good I was going to suggest he send it to Ojimak and see if he wanted to add it to his releases, as I would have liked to have a copy.

I was think about trying a re-color of his Crusader, guess I better not.:oops:

I am sorry that Ojimak got offended and this can be smoothed over.

7. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

I've send a e-mail to Ojimak in wich I apologize him. I.m sorry he felt that way. The plaine was for my personal use only. I did't know that I have ask permission to modify a free paper model.
    Anyway , I want to make it oficial:

I hope Ojimak will understand me and he will allow the download of his plaines.
  8. Texman

Texman Guest

Now, while it is his choice to do it, I find it rather megalomaniacal to react the way he did. Putting the links to the thread, then using the wording that he used, to a something that did not offer the kit, merely a personal repaint, to me is just ridiculous.

9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Dragos...I didn't think there was any harm in what you were doing and let it go. I am sure Ojimak misunderstood the intention of the thread. In any case, I do apologize for my lapse in judgement.

I think we can call this a lesson learned. The worldwide reach of this forums takes us everywhere, and knowing the customs and rights of others is essential to keeping the wonderful world of cardmodeling going strong.

I will keep a closer eye on the happening here, now that I have learned my lesson.
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

We'll just see how Ojimak reacts...
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Golden Rule of Model Downloads.

Ask for the Author's permission to release recolors before releasing recolors.

12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Very good Rule Stev0 however lets make it perfectly clear that Dragos never offered his repaint for release. He only showed the one pic of a couple parts and some finished build pics. He gave credit back to Ojimak with a link to his site as well.

I personally dont understand Ojimaks reaction but they are his models and he can do what he pleases with them. I just hope he changes his mind and offers them again.
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

This is very unfortunate and something I hope can be dealt with to both Dragos' and Ojimak's satisfaction.

I do note that on his webpage, where he expresses his objection to how his design is used in this recolor thread, he seems to state he wants this thread eliminated as one of the conditions to considering offering his free downloads again...not sure if this reading is correct, but it might be something to think about.

I have corresponded with Ojimak briefly in the past and found him to be very cordial, gracious and quite willing to consider new airplane designs or recolors of his existing models, but those were actions he was undertaking. I also know Dragos to be a very kind and considerate fellow, and note Dragos has already contacted Ojimak and apologized, which was very honorable. I would be interested in knowing Ojimak's response to that apology.

I think perhaps the lesson learned is that even if you are going to re-color someone else's work, maybe contacting them before you do so, or before you make public what you are doing, even if for your own use, would be a good idea. Technically, I don't think re-coloring for ones own use is a violation of the original designer's copyrights, but communicating with the designer before you do so is probably a good idea to ensure you do not offend the designer or, at the least, to find out what they feel about the recolor...after all, it is his original design and some might take offense to having their work altered, while others might not. Not talking legalities here, just suggesting if you contact the designer first it might avoid any perceived slights or offense. I have found most designers are quite open to the idea of letting you recolor or alter their work, provided you ask them before hand. I did this with my re-color (actually, it's a color, since the original is white) of Yoshioa-san's M4A1 Sherman design and enjoy an occassional exchange of emails with him now, which is a very nice bonus arising out of my first contact with him.

Ojimak has been very generous in making all of his designs available for free, although he does require you use a password to open the file...maybe his use of a password to access the file suggests a heightened level of sensitivity to ensuring you contact him first even for recolors for your own use. Obviously, this is all a misunderstanding and I hope Dragos' extension of an apology, and perhaps further communication with Ojimak, makes clear to Ojimak Dragos' original admirable and honorable intentions.

14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Here's the response from his website (
  15. cygielski

cygielski Member

Weird. :confused:

BTW, nice repaint, Dragos.
  16. TexasTubaMan

TexasTubaMan Member

Considering his reaction to this, how far does he consider too much. So, if you build the plane and then decide to paint it a different scheme with paint, is that too far? What is the difference, in one case you are using paint, and in another you are using pixels. It would almost be analagous to using different decals on a plastic kit than those supplied. The Ojimak should feel honored that Dragos thought his design was a good one. As long as the recolor isn't being redistributed, there is no harm done.
  17. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

One thing to keep in mind is the file itself is secured by the designer, besides the requirement that one use a password to open it for printing. The only aspect of the file use that is designated unrestricted by Ojimak is the printing function; all other functions, as you will note when looking under the security settings, are "not allowed." If one attempts to use his file beyond those settings, I believe it's a safe bet he would object.

His new message seems to say the recolor itself for personal use was not objected to, actually, it was the act of putting the recolor thread in a public forum without his permission that caused his reaction. Whether or not the re-color is good, which it obviously is, no argument there, I believe his objection was writing up about the recolor on a public forum without first checking with him; that seems to be what his only objection was.

18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Good thing that Ojimak and Dragos are reaching an agreement now.

For the good of all of us.

This thing about copyrights is an ongoing subject here in the forum. Not the first time, not the last.

I think goodwill is a characteristic of this forum's members, so we can assert on that to understand one another, regardless who's right or wrong.
  19. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

The Ojimak's answer to my e-mail was quite similar with the one from his website. I think this is a lesson not only for my but for all. I hope that Ojimak is not going to "punish" all because of me.
  20. Zathros

Zathros Guest

8) I have built a few of Ojimak's planes and personally think they are "cute" but do not find anything particularly original in the execution of the assembly technique. I am quite sure he does not have permission from the manufacturers of the real aircraft to replicate them in paper. One would simply have to print the planes and scan them to recolor them in a variety of programs so the .pdf copyright protection was not in itself broken. I believe Dragos was generous in his apology as he did not offer the plane but merely displayed his personal interpretation. I painted my (real) M.G. to gun metal gray. it was originally blue, should I contact British Leyland? I think something was lost in the translation. I just don't see what was done that was wrong. The suggestion that the thread be terminated is censorship that only the Admin of this forum has the power to do. To pull all the models is akin to throwing a tantrum, or, "I'm taking my ball and going home".:cry:

p.s. Would printing the models on colored paper violate the authors intent? How about black and white printing on orange paper , for instance.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.