L 1049 connie/ dc6 cloudmaster

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by deckape, May 16, 2010.

1. deckape

deckape Member

Here is a pictures of my civil collection these are the only ones I have. I built these two jobs about 25 years ago. When I was in the navy I purchased a couple kits from John Hathaway L1049 and the DC6 Cloudmaster in the early 1960s around 1963. Never built card back then perhaps some day I will give it a go on these .

25 years later i kept that promise as my eyes got keener to scale and porportion, they didn,t look right so I got a set of builder blue prints and reviewed then against the kits . a lot of in acuratecies were there. I saved most of the paterns checked them against the plans and made corections and I started the build. these were made from cardboard card stock and wood. I turned the spinners with a lathe. alot of tissue and hot wax was applied to fill in the seams when satisfied I primed them up for the finish paint schedule.

I went through 5 cans of primer 5 cans of high gloss clear enamel to give the silver paint a shinny surface to preserve the shine as well Here are the shots of both aircraft. I would love to thank every one who replied on my Short sunderland And thank you very mmuch Chris to make this possible.

Attached Files:

2. Ron Hall

Ron Hall New Member

They are beautiful looking models Boats. It's amazing what you
    can accomplish.Keep showing us your model collection it's
    spell binding. Ron
  3. peter taft

peter taft Senior Member

Really nice builds of fantastic aircraft - More sir... please :thumb:
  4. twinslet

twinslet New Member

These are beautiful. I love commercial aviation aircraft in the years just after WWII. I couldn't help notice these two beauties were still in the workshop. They are worthy of a much finer display space. (As long as the wife okays the location!)