Krispy Kreme car?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Krispy Kreme is a donut chain in the US. I don't think you'll find a prototypically correct one, since box cars do not carry advertising, and I can't imagine that the company would have their own dedicated rolling stock.

However, you could letter one for yourself with make-your-own decals, using the company's web site (http://www.krispykreme.com ) for a source of graphics. They have some vintage vehicles under "collectable toys", but they are 1:43, and 1:25 scale.

Andrew

babydot94513

Member in training
Andrew, you have raised an interesting question here. While I may occasionally eat a Krispy Kreme donut, whatever happened to billboard railcars? Why cannot Krispy Kreme, GM, Pepsi, Coke or whatever buy space on railroad rolling stock?

Originally posted by MasonJar
Krispy Kreme is a donut chain in the US. I don't think you'll find a prototypically correct one, since box cars do not carry advertising, and I can't imagine that the company would have their own dedicated rolling stock.

billk

Originally posted by babydot94513
Andrew, you have raised an interesting question here. While I may occasionally eat a Krispy Kreme donut, whatever happened to billboard railcars? Why cannot Krispy Kreme, GM, Pepsi, Coke or whatever buy space on railroad rolling stock?
babydot, here's a quote from http://pws.prserv.net/usinet.tgloger/mrr38.htm:
The colorful "billboard" refrigerator cars of the early to mid 1930s began to disappear in the late 30s. The U.S. Government, in response to an outcry for fairness, ruled that allowing the lessees of freight cars to advertise their products on the cars' sides amounted to an illegal advertizing rebate. After July 1, 1938, any car with the leasee's name in lettering over 12 inches high could be rejected by any railroad unwilling to take it in interchange. (Reference: Burlington Bulletin #28, several pages. Other sources say the deadline was July, 1937.)
Masonjar, I know what a Krispy Kreme donut is, but what's a Krispy Kreme box car ?:D

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
billk - thanks for the quote about the advertising carried on rolling stock. I sort of knew the explanation, but wasn't 100% sure.

Donut or doughnut - it's all good. Is it true that you have to buy them by the dozen at Krispy Kreme...? Not that that is necessarily a bad thing...! ;) That may be why there is a need for a box car.

Reading a bit more at the web site, I learned that the doughnut mix is prepared centrally, and then shipped to the stores to ensure quality control. I imagine that they use trucks and subscribe to the "just-in-time" method of supplying product. No more "less than carload" these days I guess...

Andrew

BlueMeanie

I guess I'll have to find an unpainted box car with relatively flat sides to paint white and affix a Krispy Kreme sticker to. It will still be a nice addition to my set up :)

Dan

jon-monon

BlueMeanie, welcome to the gauge!!!

There is a particular kit that lends itself well to converting to a billboard reefer. You print what you want on it and use that. Model Railroading had an artical in 2001 or 2002. It even had a template to scan and use for the doors and the lines (spaces between the board). If you are interested, lemme know and I'll try to find it and get the information to you.

Pooh Bah
Andy:
we went to KK once. They served us free samples when we went in, then we ordered a donut each and coffee. They didn't charge us for the donuts because the order was so small.
We had seen people carrying what looked like stacks of pizza boxes out of the store. I think you have to order them by the gross.
I have trouble with them because I like plain donuts and all they have are heavy glazed.