KMart and 7 Eleven

If you're modeling the current era, you may be dating your layout by building a KMart. Their merger with Sears apparently involves dropping the KMart name.

Wayne

Clark A.

Well I am building it current. Here in Garden City Michigan(while not the town I'm modeling) KMArt got its start. Kind of a tribute if you will. I wanted to show the influence of an ever expanding America even on the littlest towns by putting these things in. I see Vollmer makes an Aldi and Burger King. I'm getting the Aldi for Christmas....

Clark A.

I am modeling current. KMart got started here in Garden City Michigan, while not the city I'm modeling, I wanted to show a tribute. Also it shows the big business getting to even the smallest cities, plus as an added bonus, it'll take up a lot of room so I don have to buy as many buildings. Vollmer makes an Aldi and Burger King. I think i'll get those too.

F

Fred_M

Lifelike use to make a 7eleven you might still find somewhere.
Here's mine.

7eleven.jpg

They must of got sued or lost their rights to the brand because it's sold now as an Ace Supermarket. But a little paint and a printed sign...

79616269347816.gif

Clark,

The Nov. Model Railroader has an article on scratchbuilding a huge one-story warehouse (about 5' long) using styrene and 4' drop ceiling light panels. May be a few hints in there that you can use.

Wayne

Clark A.

dash10 said:
Lifelike use to make a 7eleven you might still find somewhere.
Here's mine.

7eleven.jpg

They must of got sued or lost their rights to the brand because it's sold now as an Ace Supermarket. But a little paint and a printed sign...

79616269347816.gif
That looks a little too old fashioned or something. Not like the 7 11s in Michigan anyway. But thatnks.

Clark A.

Muddy Creek said:
Clark,

The Nov. Model Railroader has an article on scratchbuilding a huge one-story warehouse (about 5' long) using styrene and 4' drop ceiling light panels. May be a few hints in there that you can use.

Wayne
Thats a bit too large. Lol. Thanks I'll see if I can get a copy.

spitfire

Go for it Clark!!!! You may want to check out Arlaghan's threads on scratchbuilding a modern Wendy's or his Chevron Station .
Around here, K-marts tend to be simple boxes, with very little structural details outside of the sign and the first floor windows and doors. Seems like it would make a cool scratchbuilding project.

Val

Attachments

• kmart.jpg
    kmart.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 276

SAL Comet

Just for the record, Although the company will be called Sears Holding Co., the Kmart stores will retain the name(for now anyway)

Clark A.

Be nice to KMart...lol. FYI- It started as Kresgey's Dime Store. I think I'll take some pics of the first one here in town. ITs relatively small.

F

Fred_M

Clark A. said:
Be nice to KMart...lol. FYI- It started as Kresgey's Dime Store. I think I'll take some pics of the first one here in town. ITs relatively small.
That would be nice, esp if it still has the original sign up. Fred :thumb:

Clark A.

History

From Kmartcorp.com (notice the purple lettered section)

A RETAILING LEGEND IS BORN

More than one hundred years ago, Sebastian Spering Kresge opened a modest five-and-dime store in downtown Detroit...and changed the entire landscape of retailing. The store that Kresge built has evolved into an empire of more than 1,500 stores and an Internet presence that reaches millions of customers. The Kmart name has become a symbol of Americana, standing for quality products at low prices.

When Kresge opened his first store in 1899, he sold everything for 5 and 10 cents. The low prices appealed to shoppers and allowed him to expand to 85 stores in 1912, with annual sales of more than $10 million.

War and financial depressions hit America hard over the next decades, but Kresge stores were always there to offer families products at prices they could afford. They also offered people what other businesses at the time could not -- jobs to support their families.

As time went on, prices may have changed, but the business philosophy stayed the same -- offer consumers products they need at prices they can afford -- and they’ll keep coming back.

By the mid-1920s, the S.S. Kresge Company was opening locations that sold items for $1 or less, a precursor to the current discount store. These ''green-front'' stores often were right next to the traditional red-front five-and-dime Kresge stores.

Ten years later in 1937, Kresge opened a store in the country’s first suburban shopping center -- Country Club Plaza in Kansas City, Missouri.

STAYING COMPETITIVE

The retail environment was getting more competitive, and again Kresge blazed the trail for future retailers by launching a newspaper advertising program to entice shoppers to its stores. Those print ads were the precursor to radio promotions, which followed 20 years later, and then TV commercials, which began to air in 1968. Kmart is still the leading print promotional retailer, with weekly circulars reaching millions of households each week.

By the 1950s, it was evident that the company needed to change to continue to be a leader in the growing competitive retail environment. That change came through Harry B. Cunningham, who became Kresge President in 1959. Cunningham had been studying other discount houses and developed a new strategy for the Kresge organization.

Under Cunningham’s leadership, the first Kmart discount department store opened in 1962 in Garden City, Michigan. Seventeen additional Kmart stores opened that year, leading to corporate sales of more than $483 million that year.

Just four years later in 1966, sales in 162 Kmart stores and 753 Kresge stores topped the $1 billion mark. In 1976, S.S. Kresge made history by opening 271 Kmart stores in one year, becoming the first-ever retailer to launch 17 million square feet of sales space in a single year.

In 1977, nearly 95 percent of S.S. Kresge Company sales were generated by Kmart stores. To reflect this dramatic impact, the company officially changed its name to Kmart Corporation. Ten years later, Kmart sold the remaining Kresge stores to fully concentrate on discount merchandising.

BACK TO BASICS</FONT>

In 1990, Kmart unveiled a bold new logo and a bold new plan -- a five-year, $3.5 billion new-store opening, enlargement and modernization program to focus the business back on what mattered most -- its Kmart stores.

In 1991, as part of the new plan, Kmart opened the first Kmart Supercenter in Medina, Ohio, offering a full-service grocery along with general merchandise 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

In 1996, a complete redesign of the Kmart store was launched, making them cleaner, brighter and easier to shop. A ''Pantry'' department selling frequently purchased consumable goods was moved toward the front of the store and a new focus was placed on the Children’s and Home Fashions departments. These ''big'' changes were signified by a new name for the remodeled stores -- ''Big Kmart.''

To further expand the reach of the company, in December of 1999 Kmart launched a new Internet presence, BlueLight.com. By initially offering free Internet service, BlueLight was able to register a record-breaking number of users in its first few months. Shoppers now know the e-commerce and information site as www.kmart.com.

MOVING FORWARD WITH DETERMINATION

On May 6, 2003, Kmart and 37 of its U.S. subsidiaries and affiliates emerged from the Chapter 11 reorganization process – 15 months after they filed for Chapter 11 in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Illinois on January 22, 2002. Under the leadership of President Julian C. Day, who was promoted to Chief Executive Officer in January 2003, the Company achieved several important objectives during its fast-track reorganization. The Company’s accomplishments included strengthening its balance sheet and significantly reducing debt; securing $2 billion in exit financing; focusing its store portfolio on the most productive locations and terminating leases for closed stores; and developing a more disciplined, efficient organization and lowering its overall operating costs. Kmart emerged from Chapter 11 as a new and vital enterprise focused on delivering value to customers and stakeholders alike. Its focus going forward will be on continuing to revitalize its business by driving profitable sales, identifying opportunities to further improve efficiency and reduce costs, and enhancing asset productivity. Kmart’s associates are facing the future with new energy and enthusiasm -- and a renewed commitment to providing customers with compelling promotional values, great private brands and excellent service. Kmart is moving forward with the kind of determination that would have made S.S. Kresge proud. The Company currently employs more than 144,000 associates, a far cry from the staff of 18 first employed at Kresge's five-and dime. We have a good business plan, a strong core portfolio of stores, customer loyalty earned over many years, and the will to succeed. As Kmart continues to operate stores across the country, customers can be assured that their communities will always have a broad selection of top-quality products at exceptional values.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Interestly enough, I started my retail career with the S.S. Kresge Company then moved on to K-Mart that developed in the discount store era. I left K-Mart because I didn't like the way it was being managed by head office here in Canada then it eventually went bankrupt and most of the stores were taken over by Zellers. There used to be Woolco Stores here too but they were sold to Walmart. In any case I made a flat Kresge store to go as a background to put somewhere on my layout

Attachments

• DSCF0049.JPG
    DSCF0049.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 106
I remember Woolco. It didn't last as long in the States as it did in Canada. I think Woolco went under around 1982 or so here. My mom and aunt used to drag us there on their marathon shopping sprees. I think Kmart bought the building that used to house the Woolco we went to, and it's still open as far as I know.

Most of the Kmart stores still here in St. Louis were originally another store called Venture that went belly-up in the early 1990s. Kmart took over a lot of the Venture buildings because they were bigger, and almost all of the original Kmart stores have been torn down to make way for stores like Home Depot.

Capturing an older-style store on a layout would be cool. It's amazing how quickly things change these days. I would think it would be pretty simple to build too, since the sides and back don't have a lot of detail, most of the work will be on the front windows and the sign. And being less ubiquitous than Wal-Mart, it's more interesting...