Kitty litter / speedi dry ????

hooknlad

Does anyone know the hazards / advantages of utilizing kitty litter or speedi dry for scenery on a layout? Beside the obvious the cat thinking the layout is a public toilet - lol.. Would these materials remove moisture around the layout, causing oxidation. As Always, thanx for the input .

ezdays

Out AZ way
Not having any cats around, I haven't a clue as to what this stuff looks like.:rolleyes: I don't know for sure, but I would think it would have a tendency to attract moisture like how it's suppose to work. If you're using it to get a certain texture or look, if you can't find anything else, you might try spraying it with a clear coat to seal it once it's in place.

That's the best I can offer.:wave:

Drew1125

Hi Michael, :wave:

I wouldn't worry about the cats as much as I would what effect most scenic bonding methods would have on the material...i.e. - How would the litter/spedi=dry react to water, glue, paint, etc...?
What exactly are you thinking of using it for? Ballst? Ground cover? Rock?

jim currie

it will work it has been used for ballest , coal and crushed rock before you have to screen it to size before use .

colin

Hi Mike;

I do have a cat and we do use this. I guess I have never thought about using this on my layout. This is like the stuff they use in NASCAR when there is liquid on the track. Only problem I see with it is that it is very dusty. As for the price it would be very cheap.

Regards; Colin

Pooh Bah
Haven't tried it. I'm not sure if the clumping or non-clumping would work better, but definitely get the non-scented.
Here's your chance to be a model railroad pioneer.
Or at least a researcher.
I don't think they absorb moisture unless they're actually touching it, otherwise kitty litter wouldn't have the shelf (or box!) life that it does.

zedob

I believe the cheap cat litter and floor dry are simply clay. It's rolled out into thin sheet on a conveyor belt (continuous operation), baked and then it falls off of the end of the belt and crumbles. As for the "smell good" stuff, I assume it's added somewhere into the mix.

I don't know how well it would work for ballast, but I'm sure someone in the past 50 years has tried it. I think it would work well for fills and talus piles.

I'm about to that point of scenicking my layout and just might have to try it. Heck of alot cheaper than WS bags of rocks.