Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Arjun, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

Once you've made a model and shared pictures, do you also share the layout? I don't mind sharing what I've prepared, since I make my own layouts, but they don't look very professional. They're very much a 'wealth from waste' set, done on papers used in large envelopes for company reports.

How do you prepare the layout if you make your own? I make mine on paper, with drawing instruments and colour with sketchpen or paint, when I need to, if the paper is not of the colour of my choice. I had asked something aboyut the best choice of paint last time. Each time, I put my Engineering Drawing skills to the test, preparing simple blueprints and then developing parts individually. If anyone can suggest a 'virtual' alternative, please share it.

How many of you make you make your own layouts? and how do you do them? Initially, I would look at kits already prepared, but for more elaborate models, I found them too complicated and then started preparing my own kits. For example, there was this kit on Currell for the Concorde. I looked at it for ideas to prepare a kit for a B-1B Lancer, but the kit was so elaborate that I decided to make my own plans, though I haven't yet started. Likewise a kit for a Su-35 on MAMECRAFT, which I initially used directly and it didn't come out well at all; then I made my own layout for a MiG-29 Fulcrum, which I'm about to complete today.
  2. 46rob

46rob Member

I assume that you're asking about laying out the individual parts on sheets (arrangement). If you're scanning your drawings into the computer--use a program like Photoshop or Gimp, that allows you to work in layers. Make each part a separate layer and your can arrange them to your best advantage--by cutting and pasting, you can move them between pages. Try to arrange the parts to take advanmtage of the paper's grain--which normally runs the length of the paper. Paper creases and folds better with the grain, while it rolls best across the grain. FG Large sized models all take grain into consideration, if you're looking for examples. Printed models tend to crowd the page, the parts fit in as tightly as possible, as this is a major expense. If the kit is to be elsectronic--there is no reason to pack the pages....just lay everything out logically and identify parts that are not obvious, and indicate rh and lh items.

If you're talking about assembly drawings and plans--that's an integral part of the kit, and while it's my least favorite part, it's very necessary. Some folks opt to do a set of pages of photo's showing the assembly stages, like Sumato. A set of drawings showing the relationship of the parts is pretty much a 'got to have' though. Some folks use isometric exploded views--others just plan views.
  3. marian

marian New Member

I design in CAD, mostly Rhino. This stage includes all the outlines of parts plus
    line-art for markings.

I export that to Corel Draw where I then arrange and color the parts. Simple
    instructions I write up in Corel Draw directly into the same document. Longer
    ones I compose in Open Office and then cut&paste into Corel Draw.

When arranging the parts I try to stay within the limits for both A4 and
    US-Legal format. I try to arrange them in a logical fashion while still
    conserving space, this is sometimes a bit of a trade-off. If applicable I also
    group by kind of paper, so all the connecting strips tend to end up on one
    page separate from the other parts if they are to be printed on thinner
    paper. Parts to be laminated on thicker stock are grouped etc..

Arrangement also takes into account the grain of the paper. For instance
    the leading edges of wings I try to align vertically on the portrait-format
    page. This helps in rounding them. This is not as important for fuselage
    sections, but I also align them this way. It helps to give the same "feel" for
    rounding all the segments in the fuselage.

I then publish as a single PDF. Why?

I have accumulated a huge collection of downloadable models, many times
    more than I can ever build but a collection is a collection. While doing so
    I have found models that are self-contained in a single file much easier to
    manage than those that come in individual image-files plus documentation,
    plus photos of a build. I never quite understood why some designers publish
    as a set of single-page PDF files or even a set of PDF files with a few pages
    each. Zip-Archives can be used to group files, but they are detrimental to
    browsing. So my collection has a huge number of model-subdirectories.

You can find examples of what I design at, the links under "Projekte" and indented
    under "Kartonmodellbau". All rather simple.

I do.

When designing digitally it really is not that much more work to publish the
    design. It is if you really want to make a kit, with drawings, instructions, a
    little information on the subject etc.. But you can also just publish the parts,
    better than nothing.

I think it is great to have all these downloadable models around and like
    to contribute. I also like to see people modifying other people's models,
    adding different paint-schemes, building at different scales etc.. All made
    possible by sharing them in digital format.

If I were to design by hand-drawing, which I am absolutely unable to but
    admire, I think I would scan all the intermediate stages while designing and
    building. Noting and sticking to a certain set of scanner settings throughout
    the process. If a part turned out OK I would digitally cut it out of the scan
    and save as individual file.

When done I would go and paste all these parts together in any graphics
    program (Corel Draw would do fine in my case), add part numbers,
    instructions etc. ad lib as for the digital creation and output as PDF again.

The resulting PDFs would be much bigger than the ones designed as vector
    graphics, but who cares? Also rescaling would be harder, and the results
    not as good.

But still the design would be preserved and shared.

Ciao, MM
  4. Arjun

Arjun Member

I must ask, is there as much skill in assembling a model from a preprinted kit as there is in scratchbuilding one? Some of the kits I've downloaded (especially Mamecraft and Currell) look very complicated and I've found it difficult.
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That all depends on how complex your scratchbuilt is. There are preprinted kits with thousands of parts and the complexity is mind boggeling (to me)
  6. Arjun

Arjun Member

For the same reason, I don't use any pre-drawn kits which are very complicated. In fact, I don't even look at some of those Japanese of that Concorde kit, which have very minute parts. The last two were made entirely by me, without looking at any plan. I've tried to make them as accurate as possible, without making the model too complicated.

If I draw the parts (developed surfaces) by hand and scan them, the pictures won't come all black and white, as if they were done in MSPaint. I say MSPaint, as I don't have PhotoShop. Colouring them virtually will be a problem in such a program. The idea is to work on paper for as little as possible, as some phases, particularly writings and strange patterns such as those on the Thunderbirds aircraft will be a problem on paper. I've made a folder of photos of my models and I'll put up or send the kit, if I can get it, on demand.