Kitchen Layout

jawharp1992

Mar 27, 2007
On Earth
An idea struck me earlier today. Have like either a G scale or O scale train on your kitchen floor, or any hardwood floor. The thing is, the track would be built into the floor like a trolly track in the city streets, so the vacuum can go over it easily, and you don't trip on it! Isn't that awesome?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
yeah,but we wouldnt want to fry the cat now would we! LOL,it would be neat to see it done without ruining your trolleys!cool idea though.:thumb:--josh

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
There isn't enough voltage in model trains to fry anything ;)

Judging by the real trolleys in the town where I work the grooves between the rails and the asphalt get pretty full of clutter - pet fur and food crumbs would fill the crack of an O or G scale trolley and be difficult to clean. Though I do think it's a pretty cool idea.

I don't know if you're old enough to have ever seen the show "Silver Spoons" but they had a ridable train through their house (mansion?). This is the best picture I could find.

http://www.scifistore.com/ebay/t/h1719.jpg

There were a few scenes where the father and son would come riding into the living room on it. But they had a butler to clean the right-of-way :)

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
bigsteel said:
yeah,but we wouldnt want to fry the cat now would we!
It doesn't quite work that way. If it's on the floor and it moves, as far as the cats are concerned, it's theirs. Have you ever seen a disembowled trolley? :D:D:D

Go Big1

Dec 29, 2006
NW Suburbs of Chicago
There is a little diner close to where I live that is called "The Choo Choo Grill". It has an O scale Lionel train that runs in a circle from the kitchen, out along the big U shaped counter, and then back into the kitchen. The flatbed cars carry the burgers, hot dogs, etc.

The kids LOVE going there to eat.

jawharp1992

Mar 27, 2007
On Earth
What wife? I'm only 15! If I was married, that might be a little wierd and freiky. The person to run that by would be my mom, and I think I am going to move out in a few years.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I'm sure your mom would have some input into the embedded track idea, since she is the one who would be cleaning the crud out of the track and it would cost a bunch to replace the floor after you leave home. "Listen to yo' mamma, boy". I did see embedded rail at a G gauge layout in western Oregon a few years ago. It was in the sidewalk in front of a hobby shop. The track came out of the shop, crossed the sidewalk and went through a garden layout and back across the sidewalk, into the store. I imagine they had to blow the dirt out of the track occasionally. Your idea does sound intriguing; however.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think the biggest problem with the concept is the affect that embedded track would have on the value of the house. If you tried to do it in a rented house or apartment, I would imagine the land lord could "go postal." If you do it to a house you own, you would need to remove the track and replace the flooring before you sold it.

Go Big1

Dec 29, 2006
NW Suburbs of Chicago
Loud Music, that is the very same Choo Choo grill that I was referring too. I never saw their website - interesting history.

I am going there tomorrow night with the wife and kids for dinner (my kids are members of the birthday club).​