Kitbashing

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by sealpup, Feb 19, 2002.

1. sealpup

sealpup New Member

:confused: This is a first for me, I am relatively new to the hobby and I have been reading a lot in Model Railroader about kitbashing, I have three older B&O passenger cars that are in dire need of work. I was thinking about kitbashing them into the for that they would actually take as a real car. If anyone can give me some links to companies where I can purchase the styrene and all, I would appreciateit very much, also any helpful hints would be great. I am not a true newbie, as I have been working with HO for years, but I am new at the kitbashing. Thanks again!:eek:
  2. billk

billk Active Member

Hey Sealpup - I'd try a local hobby shop first, if you have one. Or an artsy-craftsy store. Probably you could get styrene from any of the several internet MRR places, but unless you combined ithe styrene with a much larger order, the S&H would kill you!
  3. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Sealpup, Evergreen Styrene makes a full line of scale styrene components and sheets. Lots of hobby shops and large craft stores like Micheal's or Hobby Lobby also stock them.

Also I have gotten some real good sheet styrene from a printing paper distributor. Apparently screen printers use it to make printed plastic signs. Lots of times they have just given me the left over "selvege" or scrap from cutting an order....Vic
  4. sealpup

sealpup New Member

Thanks for the help, now, what exactly do i need to focus on, am I adding an interior, or what?
  5. billk

billk Active Member

Sealpup - Is that a question, or are you thinking out loud?
  6. sealpup

sealpup New Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: It is a question, I am really new to kitbashing. What would you look at doing?:confused: :confused: :rolleyes:
  7. BDC

BDC Member

Funny you should ask. I just finished my first kitbash. (I tried to find a digital camera, but no luck.) I decided to start small and simple. So, I kitbashed (emphasis on BASH) a Nn3 boxcar so it was rigged for transport on a standard N-scale flatcar. This was actually very simple. Remove the Nn3 car's trucks, and glue the car to wood planks (I used matchsticks colored brown with a marker) which are themselves glued to the flatcar. Next, glue scale-size chain so that it looks like the chain is securing the boxcar to the flatcar. Wait for the glue to dry, and you're done! (I said it was small and simple, didn't I?) Total time minus drying time is about 15 minutes.

Ok, ok! I admit I got this idea from looking at pictures of similar models someone else had done, but he forgot to copyright the idea. So there!:p

So there's my long-winded answer to a simple question which probably didn't answer the question in the first place. :confused: :confused:
  8. RI541

RI541 Member

Im confused:confused: :D :)
  9. Mike R

Mike R Member

Sealpup...the advice already posted on where to get materials is good. As far as the kitbash, you don't say what you want to actually achieve with the kitbash, or what kind of cars you have.
    [Athearn, Rivarossi/IHC,MDC??]
    Are you going to lengthen or shorten your cars? Or just change window arrangements ?
    There is a good article on 'bashing' B&O cars in March MR, and will be a second part in the April issue.The article is quite advanced, and assumes one has 'bashed' before, however there are some good tips in it.
    good luck/Mike
  10. sealpup

sealpup New Member

I was considering adding the interior to 2 B&O passenger cars and one B&O mail car. I am just trying to find out what all is included in kitbashing to do this correctly. I receive MR every month, but it is a bit farther advanced than I am ready to undertake. Any hints, ideas, or constructive critisizm (sp?) would help.:confused:
  11. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

sealpup,
    Kitbashing is not as complex as it appears. I'll give you the same advise I gave my daughters when they started to drive." Know where you are starting from. Know where you are going, and know how you are going to get there.
    It all has to do with planning. What does the finished product look like? Get photos,plans,etc.
    What are you starting with, what details of the existing kit do you need, to complete the project, how many kits will you need to get all the details?
    How are you going to cut up the existing kits, and how are the pieces going to be reassembled into the final project?
    After this it's just fit and finish. Make sure all the pieces will end up the right size. Make sure all the pieces can be blended together, with the least amount of sanding/filling. Take your time,
    cut everything as accurately as possible. Assemble to the finished side,not the back(not all castings are the same thickness,even in the same kit). Take your time. Take your time........
    Good luck, have fun, and post some pics when you are done.
    Pete
  12. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Sealpup,
    The March and April Model Railroader have an article on kitbashing B&O's "national limited"
    Thought you might be interested, if you hadn't seen already.
    Pete