Kitbasher''s Diary - On30 Flatcar

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I’ve been working on another simple little kitbash of an On30 flatcar…

Once again, I’ve started with a cheapo HO caboose…this one came in one of those Life Like train sets from 15 or so years ago, & it’s been laying in a drawer in my basement all that time…

agq.jpg

I really like the size of the HO caboose chassis…it scales out to be about 18’ long in O scale, a nice size for a narrow gauge freight car…

I started by removing the body, trucks & couplers, cutting off all the steps & railings, & using styrene strip to widen, & square off the edges of the car…I ran into a snag with the bolsters where thr trucks were mounted…the caboose had these cheesy little snap-in trucks…the hole in the bolster was quite large, & I wasn’t sure how I could mount new trucks…My solution was to glue some styrene rod into the holes, file them off, & tap screw holes into them…

agr.jpg

Next, I added an 18x6 ft styrene deck to the car…

ags.jpg

Next I painted everything flat black, & glued on strips of basswood to make a wooden deck…

agt.jpg

I weathered the planks, leaving some looking new, & added some oil/grease stains…

agu.jpg

I added some Kadee couplers…The only trucks I had that would fit were Athern Bettendorfs, but I’d like to replace them when I can with some archbars…

agv.jpg

Well, that all I have for now…I’m planning on adding some side sills, & like I said, replace the trucks at some point…

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Well, how about this?

I used pieces from an HO truss bridge kit to make side sills for my flatcar…

I thought it gave it more “heavy-duty” look…

I still want to change out those trucks, though…And I’ve got to come up with some type of a brake wheel assembly…

agw.jpg