Kitbasher's Diary - HOn30 Tank Engine

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
This is a project I began simply as a practice exercise, to see if I could build some type of steam loco for my HOn30 layout that was in any way presentable…(this is still a work in progress, & the jury is still out)
The logical starting point was of course, an N scale steam engine…I didn’t want to start cutting up a really nice model, so I started with this old Atlas 0-8-0 that I’ve had laying around for some time…Does it run? Weeelll, sorta…but that isn’t really an issue for this project…
I’m doing this as one of my “kitbasher’s Diaries”, because I want to emphasise that this is strictly a practice exercise for me…it is in no way intended to be a “how-to”, because frankly, I don’t know how-to? It’s my hope that this will teach me a thing or two…And I’m a gregarious guy, & a little public embarrassment has never bothered me that much…in fact, it might actually help…?
Anyway, here’s what I started with…this is the bare chassis of the 0-8-0...
aml.jpg

My first step was to fashion some type of cab & boiler to cover the chassis…I made a sort of cab from styrene, & a rough boiler from a piece of an old N scale tank car…
amn.jpg

Next, I cobbled together a saddle tank from styrene, & a couple of odds & ends…(I decided on a tank engine, because this loco had its tender cannibalized a long time ago…)
amp.jpg

I’ve removed the original pilot, added a cab roof & rear fuel bunker…(Since taking this photo, I’ve removed the upper portion of the rear cab wall, to correct the sag in the roof…)
amu.jpg

Btw…nothing has been attached to the chassis yet…just test-fitting…I won’t attach anything until I’ve done some painting, & added more parts & details…

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I've gotten a little more done on this one since the last post...
I know it's kinda 'hinkey' lookin', but here is Matthysen Timber Co # 5 as of today...

Attachments

• mtc #5.JPG
    mtc #5.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 167