Kitbasher's Diary - HOn30 Climax

Drew1125

This is the first time I've ever tried anything like this, so I have no idea how this will turn out...
I had originally built this to be a boxcab diesel, but that didn't quite suit me, so I decided to just start over...
I'm starting with an N scale diesel chassis that I've widened to about 7 1/2 ft (HO Scale) using strips of styrene...I also had to add strips at each end to give me something to mount the couplers to...
ake.jpg

OK...here's where we are so far...There are two lead weights that fit over the front & rear gears... I've scratchbuilt a boiler over the front weight, using 020" styrene, a little round thingy from the scrapbox, a piece of sprue for the stack, & half of one of those little capsules that Micro-Trains puts those little coupler springs in...
To cover the rear weight, I chopped down a tender body from an N scale steamer...I'm going to add a coal bunker to cover the hole in the top...I'm using styrene strips to represent timber sides...
akc.jpg

I'll try & post some more pics as I go along...

Drew1125

Well, I've done some painting & weathering, & I'm using a piece of cardstock for the roof...
akg.jpg

I've still got lots to do, but this has been fun, & it's given me the confidence to try some more!
I'll keep ya posted! :)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Drew1125 said:
Thanks, Kevin!
I need all the encouragement I can get! :)
Nah, you do very well without any encouragement.:D This is a good example of that.:thumb::thumb: That lumber yard is another and I could go on and on...:wave:

Drew1125

Awww...Thanks, Don! That's awful nice of ya! :)

I know this engine is kind of crude looking, but I think maybe in this case, it works, because a lot of the backwoods logging engines I've seen photos of had a kind of crude, homemade look to them...

I was hoping to get some work done on it today, but I've ended up having to babysit my grandson, who had to stay home from daycare today...he's a little under the weather...One of these days when he gets a little older, maybe we can both play hooky, & work on the RR together! ;) :D

Drew1125

I’ve gotten all the pieces glued together now…

akl.jpg

I also added a load of wood to the tender

akm.jpg

Still working on some more details to add…

More on that later…

Drew1125

Thanks, guys! :)

Clerk said:
....where does the engineer sit?

Dick,

Weeelll…I admit I’m having to use a little modeler’s license there…I mde a black box out of cardstock to cover the motor, which is located right in the middle of the cab area…I made it as small as was possible to allow as much floor space as possible…but in reality, the engineer will only have about a 2’ x 7’ area in which to sit/stand…same goes for the fireman’s side…I wish that I had the knowledge & skill to have come up with something better, but I come up a little short in both those areas!

But hey, I did manage to fit a little barrel in there for the engineer to sit on! :D

I also added a toolbox on the side of the boiler that was originally was the battery box from an N scale geep…

I also added a little tank thingy to the tender…

ako.jpg

Clerk

Thanks Drew. It really looks great. Thank God for those private modelers license. I have used them on occation also.